• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Versacamm SP-540V (54") Take-Up Reel Questions/Comments

ColorFast

Is anyone else running their 54" roland with this akward device tacked on the front that they claim is a take-up reel. It was delivered about 2 weeks ago and I still haven't figured out if I am stupid or if this is the most poorly designed piece of "technology" ever. From what I can gather there are 3 ways to do use the thing (sorry if this doesn't make sense):

1. Use it on the manual setting-hasn't let me down yet
Steps Taken prior to printing:
a. tape media to roller when print reaches it
(OR)
b. feed media unprinted media down and attach(waste o' vinyl)

2. Follow goofy directions in manual for "Automatic" setting-I have a job running now (first try) and it appears to be succeeding but I'm don't feel to great about wasting approx 5' of vinyl:
a. Pull media under guiding "dancer" rods and up onto rear of roller; make sure it is super straight and taught, adjust tracking clamps, then start job; before printing jobs must be nested to avoid motor error

3. Method suggested by guys at Roland dealer-this is a very "ghetto" way of doing things but it prevents the waste of vinyl
Steps:
a. tape a scrap piece of vinyl/banner to leading of of media to be printed and wrap under "dancer" rods to takeup real; set reel to automatic and viola! (sorta)

THE PROBLEMS: Method 1 is basically flawless for daily operation but doesn't allow for unattended or overnight printing. Method 2 seems to be working fine in the first test run (sent 50' of jobs-YIKES!) but it wastes SO much vinyl (yes i realized this scrap can still be used but, Seriosuly). The third method of automatic printing worked once for about 20ft. but the tracking seems to come off quite a bit and its very hard to rig up to run straight.

ANSWERS?-is anybody else running their printer with this not-so-great feat of engineering? I feel like given a day, some large bands, a rotation sensor, and a motor, I could come up with something fifty times better than this...while intoxicated. Suggestions/improvements/criticism?
:signs101:

threeputt

I didn't buy the take-up device. I created something that works fairly well. Talk about "ghetto", you should see it. It's totally constructed from junk here at the shop. (left over cardboard core from media, old dowel rod, scrap alumilite pieces, etc.)

You have to go over and crank it about three wraps every 15 minutes or so. But that's no big deal. Any employee who's in the vicinity gives it a crank when they walk by. (if it needs it).

I've put 40 and 50 feet of 54" media on it in a single day. (it would take more easily).

I'll post pictures if anyone's interested. It's crude, but it works!

threeputt

Ok, just went over and snapped these photos. The take up "reel" also doubles as an "unwind reel". After you do a sheet cut, simply lift the reel out of it's cradle on the printer, and place it into the other cradle at the end of your cutting table. (see photos) Pull off eight feet or so and hang out to dry on your drying racks. (also crudely built seen in background) Mine swing out away from the wall to load. There are six of them for 48 lineal feet of prints. That's about as much as we'll typically print in a day. So the next day we laminate those and get to printing more and hanging more.

Attachments

• take up1.jpg
    take up1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 556
  • take up2.JPG
    take up2.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 434
  • take up 3.JPG
    take up 3.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 434
  • take up 4.JPG
    take up 4.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 397

ColorFast

HaHa; your contraption looks much like our previous solution, the "Turninator"® . Basically it was a stand-alone roller supported by scrap 2x6's and constructed out of a metal rod gorilla-glued to an old vinyl tube. Worked the same as yours it sounds like. The stand is still very usefull to use as a media stand for rolls that need to be laminated.

p.s. the experiment with running 50' of vinyl overnite using method #3 (see above) worked like a charm. Making money while you sleep=happy boss. Unfortunately, my paycheck stays the same :( Oh well, the method wastes some (4-5 feet) of vinyl but it pays off. SWEET!

ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS FOR OVERNITE/UNATTENDED PRINTING?????

signage

Now all you have to do is get it to start printing after every one leaves. Then get in about a half hour earlier than everyone else and tell the boss you couldn't sleep last night and came in to run the prints:D

:thumb: :Welcome: :wine-smi:

Neil

ThreePutt thanks for the pics. I have the same rig here.
The trickiest bit for me is taping the vinyl to the roll at just the right time.
I'v always wondered how you're supposed to fix the vinyl to the take up reel.
How do you do it? any tricks?

Sabre

Barry said:
The 540V version has been avaible since the begining of April... :) If you look towards the bottom of that post you will see a photo of it.

How many of us are using this? I think we're interested in one. Any complaints?

Barry

Sabre said:
How many of us are using this? I think we're interested in one. Any complaints?

Ive been using the 30" one for quite some time. Its great if your doing prints 8 or 10 feet long, but a takeup system would be better if your doing prints any longer than that on a regular basis.

threeputt

Neil, for starters be sure your "take up reel" is parallel to the printing head. Then it's a simple matter to tape the vinyl to the reel. We use two pieces of tape. Make sure the leading edge as it comes off the printer, is parallel to the reel and you should be good to go. Oh, of course the take up reel cannot be allowed to move laterally. Ours has a built in "stop" in the cradle so it can be inserted and then pushed to the stop.

I have to say it's probably the crudest piece of equipment in our shop, but one that's save us the most in time and material loss.

mark in tx

My "take up reel" is two folding tables in front of the printer with a 8 inch roll of mask tape sitting on the edge of the print, and pulling the print onto the table every 10 minutes. As long as you let the print droop down into a semi circle before putting it up on the table, it works fine.