• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Roland VersaWorks Insufficient Memory Error

lolfailure

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening? This file is only around 9mb and versaworks refuses to RIP it claiming there is insufficient memory. Is there some sort of file size limit in versaworks? I don't see any reason why my computer would be running out of memory, it does this on a fresh reboot with no other programs running and nothing else in the queue. What's happening??

insuffmem.JPG specs.JPG

OADesign

RVW creates massive temp files for the rip data. Your hard drive is probably getting full. Consider taking a look at your drive space on the machine. If its in the red, you probably need to clean out some temp files before RVW will let you rip anything else. If your drive is in fact pretty full, I would assume your have more than a page of jobs in your queue? You may want to start by dumping some of those jobs first.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
how full is your queue? I've had troubles like this when I don't clear out my print queue for a while. I like to keep files in there until the project is complete and walks out the door. Sometimes I slack and then the bad things happen.

lolfailure

This sounds about right. I read somewhere Versaworks recommends having at least 40gb free.

I've left the office for the day so I will have to check in the morning but I think we should have a considerable amount free. I already tried clearing out the queue. I'll report back in the AM, thanks for the advice everyone who replied!

lolfailure

Okay I haven't responded to this in a bit because we were going though the process of upgrading to TR-2 and Vworks 6 but the problem is still present in 6. I only have 38gb on space left on my primary OS drive so I believe that is the problem. I have deleted everything I possibly can from this drive but its small and the OS takes up most of it.

I have over 600gb available on my second internal storage drive but I cannot seem to find a way to either install Versaworks to a different location or move the temporary files location like the scratch disk in adobe apps. is this just not possible? Why doesn't roland allow us to choose the install location or am i missing something? Win10 by the way

Jester

Slow is Fast
I have the same question. I set up a new PC for VW with an additional SSD drive just to be used for fast RIP working space, but can't figure out how to get VW6 to use it.

I guess I could just move the Win 10 page file there, but I installed 64gb of ram specifically to keep paging to a minimum.

Off topic, but I wish VW scaled its user interface better. The text is way too small, and I've tried several different monitors (27" HD, 32" 4K). I can scale up the entire windows interface, but then my other programs are too large.

Scott at Roland

Bump. Is there a way to change the VW6 drive location for RIP workspace? Scott at Roland ?

Hi Jester - Good question. I don't think you can with RVW6. I am pretty sure (not positive) that the reasons have to do with 64 bit processing, and more importantly - version 6 stores files differently than the older VersaWorks versions did. So that makes it impossible to load the application anywhere else. I don't even think you get a choice of drives when you install.

Jester

Slow is Fast
Scott, Thank you for replying!
I believe that's correct - RVW6 will only install to the system drive. Please put the request (to specify file locations) in for future versions of the application. It would be really nice if the software would allow the end user to optimize use of their computer hardware. For example, many PCs ship with a small SSD drive for the operating system plus a larger mechanical drive for user programs and documents.

Scott at Roland

It is possible to move VW to your second drive using symbolic links in Windows:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

I used to do this all the time when we were running out of disk space as a temporary fix.
Hopefully VW uses its own directory for data processing, otherwise you'll need to find out which folder it does and link that one as well.

Interesting question. I don't really know. But I will see if I can find out. This question may have to go all the way to Japan so sit tight.

DRolandUser

Can anyone help me understand why this is happening? This file is only around 9mb and versaworks refuses to RIP it claiming there is insufficient memory. Is there some sort of file size limit in versaworks? I don't see any reason why my computer would be running out of memory, it does this on a fresh reboot with no other programs running and nothing else in the queue. What's happening??

View attachment 145496 View attachment 145497
Hey lolfailuire, I came across the exact same problem. What did you do to resolve the issue?

DRolandUser

Okay I haven't responded to this in a bit because we were going though the process of upgrading to TR-2 and Vworks 6 but the problem is still present in 6. I only have 38gb on space left on my primary OS drive so I believe that is the problem. I have deleted everything I possibly can from this drive but its small and the OS takes up most of it.

I have over 600gb available on my second internal storage drive but I cannot seem to find a way to either install Versaworks to a different location or move the temporary files location like the scratch disk in adobe apps. is this just not possible? Why doesn't roland allow us to choose the install location or am i missing something? Win10 by the way
Did you resolve the rip issue?

ReinoutS

I've got the same issue, even with the 112kb test cut file. So it's not a memory problem. Also, I did not find any additional documentation online regarding this issue. The PC I'm using is not that old and has pretty solid specs, so I'm not sure what to do now.