• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG-640 dampers not filling with ink

Shuja

Having issues with VG-640 after the upgrade to TR2 inks. On day 1 magenta head stopped printing midway through printing a 12 feet banner. After multiple attempts of pulling ink with a syringe (should have bought a handheld pump) was able to get the ink flowing. Few days later solid black printing on top of the graphic which later changed to a thin black line repeating every 4mm. The change happened after I disconnected the head ribbon cleaned with alcohol and reinserted. Now when I try to pull ink again, nothing happens, no initial resistance as if the captop is not sealing properly, which it is. Could it be air leaking and not holding vaccum, either through the tube connections on the heads or the tube to the drain pumps.

Unfortunately, I cannot do most of the service tasks after the upgrade - don't have peck.

One last thing, even though all the ink pouches are more than half full, all of them indicate almost finished with a warning in versaworks that there's not enough ink for the job.

HELP!!!

Attachments

• 20211114_043213.jpg
    20211114_043213.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 712

JaySea20

I don't know if this applies to the VG-640. But, this has been my experience with a XC-540.

I ordered dampers for my XC-540 from digiprint and they sent the one on the right of the image below. It has only one "spring bar" These failed to pump up properly or stay primed. and i began losing whole ink channels instantly. The damper on the left is the proper one.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Attachments

• Untitled-2-01.png
    Untitled-2-01.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 435

Shuja

I don't know if this applies to the VG-640. But, this has been my experience with a XC-540.

I ordered dampers for my XC-540 from digiprint and they sent the one on the right of the image below. It has only one "spring bar" These failed to pump up properly or stay primed. and i began losing whole ink channels instantly. The damper on the left is the proper one.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Thanks for your response, VG-640 uses different dampers - our machine has the original ones that came with the machine. Think it's time to replace them anyway.

Shuja

You have been messing with the system so time to triple check everything that you have touched.
Then run some damper fills and see how it goes.
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't damper fill done thru service mode which is now disabled? Our VG-640 is a 7 color machine with 2 magenta inks. The only head functioning properly is the Light Gray/Magenta which is attached to circulation pump. The other 6 colors are controlled by pressure pumps and are not pumping ink into the dampers, in the past when I pulled ink with a syringe, the fillers would retract and the pressure pumps would turn on - now when they retract, nothing happens on the pump side. Any chance you'd know what is causing that to all the of them. Seems like the filler sensors are not sending the signal to the pressure pumps.

Appreciate your response.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't damper fill done thru service mode which is now disabled? Our VG-640 is a 7 color machine with 2 magenta inks. The only head functioning properly is the Light Gray/Magenta which is attached to circulation pump. The other 6 colors are controlled by pressure pumps and are not pumping ink into the dampers, in the past when I pulled ink with a syringe, the fillers would retract and the pressure pumps would turn on - now when they retract, nothing happens on the pump side. Any chance you'd know what is causing that to all the of them. Seems like the filler sensors are not sending the signal to the pressure pumps.

Appreciate your response.
You should be able to do the damper fill by starting the machine pressing pause+enter+start.
You don't need service mode for it.

baumer

That start combination doesn't work on my Roland SG > I get "turn power on again" > nothing happens.