• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG2 - Intermittent service calls, bad test prints

Jonathan Tyrell

Hi guys,

We've had our Roland VG2-540 for around 2 months now.

It has been printing great until this morning.

When we got into the office in the morning, the machine was beeping and said service call 0012.

Switched off the machine, switched it back on, manual clean and it was printing perfectly again.

After a few prints, I queued up another print.

After the head went across the media for the first pass, the machine started beeping and gave another service call: this time service call 0110.

Again, turned it off and on.

Did a test print, it was terrible (see attached).

Then did thorough manual clean, normal clean and then a perfect test print again!

What could be the issue?

I noticed that there was a lot of ink around the print heads, even on the second manual clean (even though they'd just been cleaned an hour ago).

I've attached a picture of the swab on the second clean of print heads.

Would appreciate any help!
IMG_20191122_203110710_HDR.jpg
IMG_20191122_205614736_HDR.jpg

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Tyrell

Hi, yes it would be covered under warranty but machine is now back to normal, so just wondering what the issue could have been.

The machine prints and cuts exceptionally however we got it because it was an 'all-in-one' machine;

However it is a massive pain to wait 24 hours for outgassing. Also the inks are not scratch-resistant so we have to laminate. Then we have to put the prints back into the machine to cut, while it could be printing something else. Smell of the prints is very bad even with door/window open. Cleaning is also quite a pain, emptying waste bottle and manual cleaning twice a week. So print quality is great, but I would sacrifice a little quality and get a UV/latex printer in hindsight. Maybe they'll come with their own issues so I don't know.

If anyone has any thoughts on the service call codes / why the issue could have occurred, would appreciate it!

Also you can PM me if you want any further info on the VG2.

ams

Service Call: XXXX

An unrecoverable error occurred or part replacement that must be performed by a service technician is required.

Action: Confirm the number displayed, and then switch off the sub power. After you switch off the power, inform your authorized Roland DG Corp. dealer of the number that appeared on the display.

Jonathan Tyrell

Service Call: XXXX

An unrecoverable error occurred or part replacement that must be performed by a service technician is required.

Action: Confirm the number displayed, and then switch off the sub power. After you switch off the power, inform your authorized Roland DG Corp. dealer of the number that appeared on the display.

I just turned it off and on again, and it started working...

But don't want it to happen again that's why asking on forums if anyone has any input :)

Jonathan Tyrell

Trust me you can find a ton of post me telling about my issues with the VG540, in the meantime I learned one thing - if you need a good printer go with epson.

I thought VG2 they'd have solved all the issues :(

Do you still have your VG-540?

Or changed it for an Epson?

I thought VG2 they'd have solved all the issues :(

Do you still have your VG-540?

Or changed it for an Epson?

Changed to Mimaki CJV150 which was a great machine, not too fancy, not too fast but reliable and affordable. Now I print on an Epson 60800 and its just crazy fast and quality is comparable to offset. You can laminate right away, I just leave 5-10 minutes to be be on the safe side.

As has been suggested, get that free service call. If the printer or you are slammed with work try to schedule it at the most convenient time you can. Problems that just 'go away' tend to return at the worst possible moment (in order that Murphy's Law is conserved.) And as a new VG2 owner I'd say you want to know if the tech can intercept a failure mode that is festering in the weeds. Just sayin ...

John

p_vassilis

The first error (0012) is a power voltage error. It does not reach the required voltage on turning the sub power on. I wouldn't expect this error with the sub power off (as it was in your case?).
The second error is related to the linear encoder or the motor stop moving. Regardless of the printer working, you should notify your dealer.