• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VG540

Dave Kasler

Well I gotta say, I am not as happy with my new Roland VG540 as I should be. Upgraded from a 10 year old VP540 and honestly I think I liked it better. The most recent issue involved trying to print roll magnetic material. Seems that they increased the amount of steel in the preheat section (used to be all aluminum) and now the magnetic material sticks to it.

Mainframe

I just did exactly the same thing, 10 year old VP540 and got a VG540, I however never printed magnetic material in either one, (I didn't like the idea of the material so close to the heads) I am really loving this VG so far, the dry time is short and the cutter is super accurate and weeding is a lot easier. I like how bullet proof the prints are, and the speed is amazing! So far mine is perfect for my needs, I think it makes a good printer for a full service sign shop. I don't do many magnets that require printing, (I have a large cut vinyl magnet customer I use the speed press for)

Other than magnets how are you liking the new beast? These printers are huge! And I hear a fan running all the time even when the secondary power is off, 2 fans are running with the secondary on, they told me there is a fan in the head assembly. Guess that's why my VP lost the main board, too much heat in there.

Dave Kasler

I find it much harder to load the material in the back. Not being able to preload the material onto the wheels makes it more difficult when the media is heavy. I also liked being able to move the material from side to side from the front of the machine. Just can't do that with this one. There are just a lot of small quirks that the engineers failed to consider the user during the design phase.

When I called to inquire about the above mentioned magnetic issue the answer I got was quite helpful and I quote..."well at least now there are lights in the bay and the handle to lock the material in place is on the right." Well that'll sure help the issue I'm having with magnetic material.

They had no other recommendations other than I use the material that "becomes a magnet after it's printed." Wonder where you find that magical substrate?

Mainframe

I had trouble loading at first also, especially heavy rolls of banner material (new roll of 15 oz!) but I started sliding the roll holders all the way out and lay the banner roll right on the 2 bottom rollers, then lift one side then the other, I squeeze the ends in tight and leave the holder locks loose, then go around front and reach back through and slide it where I want.

I took a sharpie and marked the back of the plenum to mark where I want the roll to be so I usually get it right before I walk around front. It took some practice but I can reach back through and slide the rolls any time I want, the trick is squeeze the roll on the the holders so they don't pop off.

I also found you need to remove any media to cut after you lam the prints, one time one of the roll holders bumped my print an knocked it off its mark, the cut was off , I put it back in after removing the media and it cut fine, (the tech told me to leave the media in, I never left it in on my VP so I should have known better) I feel so far the machine is way more accurate and I find the prints are bullet proof to scuffing etc, ad the print speed and bright colors, i am thrilled so far.

Paperworker

Dave, you need to slice a piece of the magnet and place it on the metal where the magnet it sticking in the back. Give it a whirl and see how you make out. If you need a picture of our setup, I can get it to you when I get to work on Tuesday. Good luck!

Well I gotta say, I am not as happy with my new Roland VG540 as I should be. Upgraded from a 10 year old VP540 and honestly I think I liked it better. The most recent issue involved trying to print roll magnetic material. Seems that they increased the amount of steel in the preheat section (used to be all aluminum) and now the magnetic material sticks to it.