• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VP-540 Cyan overspray

SurfaceSigns

I've run into a problem I haven't encountered before, and not sure what the issue is.

The Cyan head seems to be producing a lot of overspray, and the alignment of the Black nozzles seems to be out of whack. I've attached a few photos, any feedback would be helpful. I've had to learn this machine on my own, as the dealer I bought it from went out of business, and the other dealers seem to want to charge a fortune because it wasn't their machine.

I've tried manual cleaning, and all 3 levels of cleaning in the menu, to no avail.

Thoughts?

Clinton

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,329
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,242

splizaat

This to me looks like a static problem.

Try unplugging your machine's main power cord for an hour. Then plug it back in and print. Also you can get copper tassels that hang on the back of the machine and float just above the vinyl coming into the machine, or some people have said dryer sheets taped just above where the vinyl enters also helps remove any static on the roll.

splizaat

Is the file you are printing a vectorized eps/ai/pdf or are you printing a raster file (jpg, tiff, etc) ?? It almost looks like it could be artifacting too from printing a raster image.

player

How old?

When were the dampers last changed?

I had problems with my cyan and a new damper fixed it right up.

SurfaceSigns

Is the file you are printing a vectorized eps/ai/pdf or are you printing a raster file (jpg, tiff, etc) ?? It almost looks like it could be artifacting too from printing a raster image.

File is a Vector printed from an EPS, designed in Illustrator. I get the same results if it is a PDF.

This to me looks like a static problem.

Try unplugging your machine's main power cord for an hour. Then plug it back in and print. Also you can get copper tassels that hang on the back of the machine and float just above the vinyl coming into the machine, or some people have said dryer sheets taped just above where the vinyl enters also helps remove any static on the roll.

Those are some Awesome suggestions, something I had't thought of. I'll give them a try.

How old?

When were the dampers last changed?

I had problems with my cyan and a new damper fixed it right up.

The printer is 6 years old, but has had very little use as a printer until recently when we got serious about this as a business. I'm going to change out the dampers and cap tops when the parts get in early this week.

Gave the heads an overnight soak but didn't change anything. So frustrating trying to figure this out.

davinciimports

Hi Clinton. Sorry, no advice here. I have the same issue with Light Cyan on my XC-540. Let me know if you figure this out. I have already changed my dampers and it did not resolve the overspray. I will let you know if we find a solution too.
SCAN0837.jpg
-Joey

victorn

do a fill pattern test in service mode, look at the sides, if one color is spraying only, it's the head

inthesignbiz

Is the head lowered or raised?

When we are not printing banners and have not lowered the head, we get over spray similar to this when printing vinyl.

Just a thought.

ImpactSignCo

I would definitely check and make sure the heads aren't raised. We used to run the XC-540 and would run into that from time to time if it wasn't addressed after printing on something thicker.

Also I would do a test of your bi-directional alignment and make sure that everything lines up the way it should. Something to keep in mind there is that there are actually two bi-directional alignment tools, one that can be accessed by anyone and one in service mode and if they are not both addressed, it can sometimes lead to problems that appear to be overspray. A trick to see if that's the problem without actually changing anything in the service menu of your printer is to set something up as a uni-directional print in versaworks to see if that solves the problem.

If none of that works, do a manual cleaning of the heads and captops. Unfortunately this might also be your Cyan head going out...

Hope this helps!

SurfaceSigns

So, an Update...

Over the weekend, I soaked the heads twice overnight, clueing and running them in between. Today I changed out the Black and Cyan Cap Tops, cleaned the Encoder Strip, and added some Dryer sheets to the back of the unit in case the issue was static.

Ran a test print on some poster paper with the RIPC-Matte Poster Paper profile set at the Standard (720x720) setting. The print started out with overspray, cleared up 1/3 of the way through, then started again at the end of the print.

Then, I ran it at the High Speed (360x360) setting, and the overspray is gone. Changed back to the Standard Setting, it's back.

Would that point to the dampers or some sort of ink starvation?

Haven't ever changed out the dampers. Priced them at the dealer today, $65 each. I see a few of the advertisers here have them at as low as $9 each, which I assume would be aftermarket. If we think it's the dampers, what's your thoughts on Roland Parts vs. Aftermarket when it comes to Dampers?

Thanks again for the help in working through this :)

Clinton

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I am leaning more toward a head issue. Here is why: Your test print is near perfect with a few deflections but not enough to cause over-spray. The test print also uses the larger size dots which are easier for the print head to fire. When you printed in a medium resolution, I am willing to bet it was a variable dot profile which means the head is doing a lot of work trying to fire different sized dots in the correct places. When you printed low resolution the print head only needs to fire the big dots and therefore is not working as hard. I have seen this before and usually it is a bad head. How old is it?

mark-s

I`m going through the same thing.
Took a print over to a tech and he said print head is going out.

mark-s

JgS

I have a vp-540 that is about 6 years old. right before the Cyan head went out it was doing that.

SurfaceSigns

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of, and makes sense.

The machine is 6 years old, but has had little use as a printer, more as a cutter. It has had regular cleanings though, and is always left plugged in on standby so that it ran it's self-clean as needed. A Head shot count shows the Cyan head only has about 500 million shots, so less than 10% of the stated life of the head. That's a bit of a concern for me. Always ran Roland Inks as well.

Best place to buy heads?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
6 years and only 500 million fires is rare. You may already know this but, there is a multiplier you have to take into account when you look at the service report and print head fires. I am willing to bet you are actually at 5 billion.

We sell the Roland print heads on our site and offer free support and manuals on installing the head. Here is a link: Roland DX4 Print Head

player

I would bet it's the damper. That's exactly what mine was doing. Printing on high quality helped because it slowed down the printer.

Use the Roland dampers. The cheapies don't have the proper metal filter to keep junk from getting to your head.

If you change the damper yourself, be careful you don't crack or break the carburetor.

SurfaceSigns

6 years and only 500 million fires is rare. You may already know this but, there is a multiplier you have to take into account when you look at the service report and print head fires. I am willing to bet you are actually at 5 billion.

We sell the Roland print heads on our site and offer free support and manuals on installing the head. Here is a link: Roland DX4 Print Head

Considering I have bought less than a dozen Cyan 440ml cartridges in the printers life, I'd find it hard to believe I'm at 5 billion. I also haven't heard of any sort of multiplier for the head shot count obtained via the service menu, and don't know what the point of it would be. If you can explain a bit better, it would be helpful information.

As I said, this printer has had very little use as a printer due to the market niche we targeted a year or so after buying the printer. It was originally bought to just print stuff for my dealers (I was a factory rep at the time) and as a bit of a hobby. I haven't been running as a full blown sign shop until very recently.

I assume from the pricing that the dampers you sell are aftermarket?

Head wise, the price you have on the site seems decent, my local dealer was $1100.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Having this issue....this is after a cleaning. Service Mode fill test....so the head is bad you say?

Attachments

• 20141210_101822.jpg
    20141210_101822.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,189