• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vs Mimaki

MachServTech

http://www.triangledigitalinx.biz/sell_sheet/BVJ_23.pdf

if so, i'd love to see how they perform. i still haven't fallen in love with solvent inks completely in that i have to custom coat many of the substrates that i print on. a protein based ink would be a game changer, not to mention the bio solvent is supposed to be more uv fade resistant.

Hmmm, may be worth a trip to see this (its amazing how I can always justify a trip to Vegas)

Rooster

A machine designed to both print and cut will make concessions to accomplish both. You're better off with separate machines for sure.

As for ink types these guys: http://www.itlgb.com at one point were touting the bio-solvent make up of their inks. They seem to have undergone some changes since I last spoke with them and it doesn't really mention that on their site anymore. They know their stuff, so if you wanted to find out more about their inks I'm sure they'd be happy to help you and answer whatever questions you had. They had quoted me some awesome prices before, but I would have had to order far more than I could go through to make it worth my while to bring it over from the UK. Who knows, they may have a US distributor by now.

Mainframe

I have a Roland VP540, & I LOVE having a print & cut system, I already had a cutter so there are times when I do print & cut at the same time, I do a lot of coro signs & some inside graphics & like having it cut when I am done. The cutter on my machine cuts very well & fast enough for me, I even use the 540 to cut my sandblast mask, There is one trick I do when I have a small run of lam prints to do, say maybe an oval print for a sandblasted sign etc, I let the print run & tell it to dry 3 or 5 minutes, I also check return to origin, then I run the print out & lam it real quick with a big squeegee on a table in front of the machine, then I just hit cut in VW & it sucks it back in & cuts it, no crop marks or taking it in or out & less waist.
Just my 2 cents

MikeD

Roland and Mimaki print/cut

my jv3 is pretty much zero trouble now that i know how to use it. clean the edges of the caps, clean the wiper rails and wiper every day. once every two weeks clean around the bottom of the heads and pour cleaning solution down the caps to flush the pumps. maybe that's "too" much maintenance? the build quality of the printer is almost military grade. am looking forward to a jv33 in the future.

I'm planning on looking at the CJV soon. Looked at the Roland, and found that some of the consumables (cutting strip) were weak. I am hoping that the CJV is more "industrial." Has anyone done any perf-cutting (kiss-cutting a contour followed by through cutting the perimeter of the decal so it pops out of the vinyl) with the CJV?
Another point of interest to me is the fact that these machines can process an entire roll of material overnight...without having to pay an employee. Any thoughts on how the value of un-attended printing compares to the fact that if an all in 1 device breaks down, you wont be printing OR cutting? I imagine that if proper maintenance is followed the machines should stay in good shape.
Thanks for reading my post! I am new to this group, and I am already finding lots of great info.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Unless space is an issue, the all in one machine is not your best solution based on your comment/question "...Has anyone done any perf-cutting (kiss-cutting a contour followed by through cutting the perimeter of the decal so it pops out of the vinyl) with the CJV?..." You would get a better result with a separate printer and cutter. There are specific cutters in the market that will do the "through cut" flawlessly (i.e. Graphtec and Summa: heavy duty models)

MikeD

Unless space is an issue, the all in one machine is not your best solution based on your comment/question "...Has anyone done any perf-cutting (kiss-cutting a contour followed by through cutting the perimeter of the decal so it pops out of the vinyl) with the CJV?..." You would get a better result with a separate printer and cutter. There are specific cutters in the market that will do the "through cut" flawlessly (i.e. Graphtec and Summa: heavy duty models)

The Summa is my top pick, and with it's ability to read barcodes for finding cut data, it seems like the way to go: queue a whole roll's worth of jobs on the JV33 and then move the roll over to the Summa to cut the entire roll.
It would be nice to send 1 command to 1 machine and 24hrs later end up with a roll of processed vinyl...I am feeling like the print/cut machines are for less time sensitive jobs, or jobs with minimal cutting; like vehicle wraps. Are these machines meant to overcome "space issues" more than production challenges?

anotherdog

love my VP540, but I know the others are good too. Essentially the print/cut machines are great for startup and space restrictions, both Roland and Mimaki are workhorses and will do the job, however sales and service support are the key. Go with the best support and training in your area

2B

love my VP540, but I know the others are good too. Essentially the print/cut machines are great for startup and space restrictions, both Roland and Mimaki are workhorses and will do the job, however sales and service support are the key. Go with the best support and training in your area

+1

MikeD

you had mentioned the silver ink...unless you laminate them, they will rub right off easily.
ask for non-laminated samples before you choose that ink-set

Dave Rowland

having spent a month researching all the printers available.... the VS range of printers are SLOW but have latest head design. The JV33 or CJV33 is awesome, with good production speed.
We invested in L25500 as it was less maintance and worry free printing

Fatboy

Got a vp 300 and a sp540.Love them and wont easily change