• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland vs. Mutoh

scene329

I'm currently looking at the Roland RS 540 or the Mutoh ValueJet 1304. I've noticed that the Roland is still using band printing and the new Mutoh is using the wave technology.

What would you choose and why? Trying to make a decision on which printer to get by this evening.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've had couple of Mutohs and would buy another. But that really doesn't mean anything in a comparison.

The only valid opinion for comparison are those opinions from people who have run both printers. Someone telling you how great their Mutoh or their Roland might be and has never dealt with the other brand is worthless for comparisons.

TheSellOut

I've been struggling with similar decision except mine is between the RS 540 and the Epson GS6000! I am leaning towards the Epson, which has a $3000 rebate until the end of Oct.

The main thing both you and I should be worring about is how good the service is with the printer we decide on!

jay*doc

I have used Mimaki JV3, Roland VersaCamm, Mutoh 1304 and Mutoh 1604, in that order. I do like the Mutoh the best so far, and I'll tell you why.

#1, and this may be a silly thing to start off with, but the take up option Mutoh offers is BY FAR the best and most reliable out of all 3. No laser looking for media, no clutch system that needs to be tightened. Just a simple bar that lowers as the media advances until it drops so far, and it takes up the media, simple as that.

#2, The simplicity of the media feed adjust. Load the media, tell it to do the initial page feed adjust, measure it and input the info, and you are done. That's it.

#3, I print A LOT of media, literally whole rolls of 54" media at a shot, and the machine is solid from start to finish. If it gets low on ink, it tells me and I can change them on the fly. No lost print, no lost time (the 1304 will pause when you remove the cart, but continue when the new one is replaced).

If I EVER had to buy a printer, it would most definately be from the Mutoh lineup.

And no, I do not work for Mutoh, just have to give credit where it is due.

3dsignco

I had a Roland Versacamm VP30 and I now run a Mutoh 1604. As for print quality and quality of the machine. Mutoh hands down. My roland after about a year or so was always breaking down or plugging up.. Had to replace 4 Pumps and capping stations. Then Dampners.
My Mutoh is going on 2 1/2 years now and not a problem.. Except for their stupid Smart cards the use on their ink.

Print quality on the VC always seemed off with their versaworks. But I will not slam on that to much as I do attribute much of that to Corel. Now I use Signlab and never have any color problems.

scene329

I have used Mimaki JV3, Roland VersaCamm, Mutoh 1304 and Mutoh 1604, in that order. I do like the Mutoh the best so far, and I'll tell you why.

#1, and this may be a silly thing to start off with, but the take up option Mutoh offers is BY FAR the best and most reliable out of all 3. No laser looking for media, no clutch system that needs to be tightened. Just a simple bar that lowers as the media advances until it drops so far, and it takes up the media, simple as that.

#2, The simplicity of the media feed adjust. Load the media, tell it to do the initial page feed adjust, measure it and input the info, and you are done. That's it.

#3, I print A LOT of media, literally whole rolls of 54" media at a shot, and the machine is solid from start to finish. If it gets low on ink, it tells me and I can change them on the fly. No lost print, no lost time (the 1304 will pause when you remove the cart, but continue when the new one is replaced).

If I EVER had to buy a printer, it would most definately be from the Mutoh lineup.

And no, I do not work for Mutoh, just have to give credit where it is due.

I think I'm going to have to get the whole package at Fellers then. Seal laminator, graphtec FC8000 cutter and the Mutoh 1304 printer. Thanks!!

scene329

It seems that the Mutoh beats the quality of the Roland. What about the speed and per sq. ft cost? Are they similar?

David Wright

Look into servicing options before you buy. Is there tech support close to you and how good are they. Service is a big part to consider when buying.

scene329

Look into servicing options before you buy. Is there tech support close to you and how good are they. Service is a big part to consider when buying.

I would be purchasing this from Fellers. Do they offer great support? They have (3) locations in my state..

ProWraps

they will contract out your support more than likely. we have the same warranty on the printer we are selling. they contract out calgraph in our area.

Dave Philipps

Mutoh vs Roland

Hello,
Subject: Mutoh ValueJet vs. Roland and the real story…

1. Productivity

I want a printer to print and a cutter to cut. The Roland can't do both at the same time. The printer can only print as fast as the cutter can cut so you lose the speed of the printer. With 2 separate units (Mutoh and lets say a Graphtec Cutter) you can be cutting a large job while printing the next simultaneously for productivity value and demands.

2. Lamination
Many graphics still need lamination. Decals, Vehicle graphics etc. Once printed the print needs to be pulled out of the printer, laminated and then feed back through the cutter. That requires babysitting. With a Mutoh printer and Graphtec cutter separately you can run all prints unattended and cut at your leisure.

3. Media failures specific to Roland

If you ask any adhesive vinyl media manufacturer they recommend a waiting period between printing and cutting. The solvents need to continue to de-gas for a period of time after printing. If not and you want to print full bleed and you cut immediately you can get edge curl after application. It is a major problem for Roland.

With current discounts print and cut bundles are competitive and as far as comparing printers between Roland and Mutoh, Overall the ValueJets win!

When going up against Roland please explain these differences between the Roland and the ValueJet 1304 54".

1. The ValueJet includes the take up system and most Rolands do not. That's a $2,000 difference.
  2. The ValueJet has one state of the art - Epson head and the latest technology with the ability to put down half the size dot than a Roland thus achieving higher quality prints. Also, Roland has 4 print heads making it harder to use and more expensive to service if failure occurs.
  3. Mutoh has the patented Intelligent Interweave for much reduced banding and Roland doesn't. This equals less media waste and costs for Mutoh.
  4. The ValueJet is 30% faster in production than the Roland.
  5. The ValueJet 1304 is the quietest eco solvent printer on the market.
  6. Mutoh and Roland both have a 2 year onsite warranty at this time.
I hope this information helps
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

scene329

Hello,

1. Productivity

I want a printer to print and a cutter to cut. The Roland can't do both at the same time. The printer can only print as fast as the cutter can cut so you lose the speed of the printer. With 2 separate units (Mutoh and lets say a Graphtec Cutter) you can be cutting a large job while printing the next simultaneously for productivity value and demands.

2. Lamination
Many graphics still need lamination. Decals, Vehicle graphics etc. Once printed the print needs to be pulled out of the printer, laminated and then feed back through the cutter. That requires babysitting. With a Mutoh printer and Graphtec cutter separately you can run all prints unattended and cut at your leisure.

If you ask any adhesive vinyl media manufacturer they recommend a waiting period between printing and cutting. The solvents need to continue to de-gas for a period of time after printing. If not and you want to print full bleed and you cut immediately you can get edge curl after application. It is a major problem for Roland.

With current discounts print and cut bundles are competitive and as far as comparing printers between Roland and Mutoh, Overall the ValueJets win!

When going up against Roland please explain these differences between the Roland and the ValueJet 1304 54".

1. The ValueJet includes the take up system and most Rolands do not. That's a $2,000 difference.
  2. The ValueJet has one state of the art - Epson head and the latest technology with the ability to put down half the size dot than a Roland thus achieving higher quality prints. Also, Roland has 4 print heads making it harder to use and more expensive to service if failure occurs.
  3. Mutoh has the patented Intelligent Interweave for much reduced banding and Roland doesn't. This equals less media waste and costs for Mutoh.
Thank you.

Right now Fellers is coming in @ $27,999.99 for a Mutoh ValueJet 1304 printer (54"), Graphtec FC8000 (54"), Seal Laminator (54").

Do you think you could beat this rate? Also, 3 day training a take up roller system and $1,300 worth of supplies.

chopper

Hello,

1. Productivity

2. Lamination

Thank you.

this is all BS from some one trying to sell you a mutoh, not that you shouldnt buy one but com on man...at least tell the truth....

1. Productivity

of course it cannot print and cut at the same time, the printer can only print as fast as the cutter can cut (WTF) does this mean???
and as far as having two separate units you can do the same with the roland, you do not have to cut your print in the roland printer if you do not want to you could use a graphtec, etc...

2. Lamination

this is complete BS, same process on both machines to do a print lamination and cut no more work or babby sitting on one vs the other

anothercomplete lie, it is no different from the Roland to the mutoh you can wait to cut and allow the print to degas before you cut so why is this a specific problem for the roland? because it BS.

1..I believe that the take up system statement is correct.
2.. Roland and Mutoh both have epson print heads and having more heads does not make it harder to use or more expensive to service if you loose a print head do you have to change them all...no complete lie
3.. I have never had a banding issue with my roland so I believe this to be complete BS also.
4.. I do not know if this is true but I doubt it,...maybe comparing Roland high quality to mutohs low it maybe that much faster
5.. I cannot say if this is true or not

with this said all I have to say is you need to decide witch one fits your need better, I do not work for roland in any way shape or form , I just use one and want you to have the facts, not this crap being spewed here, a mutoh may be a better printer for you but would you want to buy it from someone who lies to you to sell it to you ????
//chopper

scene329

As far as the Mutoh vs the Roland printers I think they are both comparable in features.

I've heard that Rolands typically have issues when the warranty expires.. is this true?

ProWraps

we will soon have our 4th and 5th mutohs. the quality for the value will keep us coming back. you cant beat em.