• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland VS300i no test print after head install

burney

i feel like i`m just thinking aloud here tho someone might benefit in the future with similar issues.
i`m 99.9% sure that 1 of these transistors are my problem...and i think it is the C4131s (number 3 outer in my DKWID diagrams) (Dont Know What Im Doing)
As i dont know how to test them properly (yet) with a multi meter i went ahead and did this little test.

So to explain my rubbish drawings B,C,and E are the terminals ,Minus - is the black volitmeter wire and Plus + is the red voltmeter wire.

So eg: "E- + C+" means terminal E attaching the black voltimeter wire and terminal C attaching the red, then i wrote result after.

The #1746 transistor gives all similar readings so im guessing (and it is only a guess,remember i have no idea what im doing here) that they are all ok.

but then the C4131 reading are all the same apart from #3 outer side which reads then the voltimeter settles on 001 so i pressume this one is the culprit right?

Attachments

• 20220725_183825.jpg
    20220725_183825.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 75
  • 20220725_185019.jpg
    20220725_185019.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Joe House

You can test the transistors by turning off the printer, setting your meter to Ohms and reading the resistance between the two outer legs of the transistor. It should be *around* 43 - 48 ohms. They could be the source of your problems. If you're getting 1 ohm across the outer legs then the transistor is shorted out and could be sending too much power and blowing the fuse.

Good Luck

burney

You can test the transistors by turning off the printer, setting your meter to Ohms and reading the resistance between the two outer legs of the transistor. It should be *around* 43 - 48 ohms. They could be the source of your problems. If you're getting 1 ohm across the outer legs then the transistor is shorted out and could be sending too much power and blowing the fuse.

Good Luck
that s what i did in a long winded way (E + B),they all test 42-43 apart from 1 (1746)

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Aside from the technical issues, where you're getting Expert_Support, if you've got orders that are getting old, or potential print work for valued customers, it might be worth putting a shout out on uk sign boards. A few folks on there who could recommend a trade supplier, or a local firm to sub print production to at trade rates, to keep business flowing.

burney

Aside from the technical issues, where you're getting Expert_Support, if you've got orders that are getting old, or potential print work for valued customers, it might be worth putting a shout out on uk sign boards. A few folks on there who could recommend a trade supplier, or a local firm to sub print production to at trade rates, to keep business flowing.
Unfortunately that would be very difficult to execute.
I feel like i may be near the end IF this transistor is the problem,there is no doubt it is a problem,i just need to find one from somewhere other than Roland as their prices are daylight robbery.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I still suggest the UK forum - there may be some one local there with an old faithful sat in the corner, powered down, because the replacement unit came in. There maybe someone who'll give you an hour or two to pull a board and help you turn your machine around

Plenty of us have been where you are now. I hope it might be worth a shot.

burney

I still suggest the UK forum - there may be some one local there with an old faithful sat in the corner, powered down, because the replacement unit came in. There maybe someone who'll give you an hour or two to pull a board and help you turn your machine around

Plenty of us have been where you are now. I hope it might be worth a shot.
I'm hopefully only looking at a couple more days out of work.
It won't take long to change the transistor but will take a day or 2 to get it.
As long as the transistor is the problem I will be good to go.
I've searched everywhere for an alternative place to buy other than Roland but it's looking like I have no choice than to be robbed again for a part worth pennies.

Theres no point messy around.

burney

Update, pulled the board out,changed the transistor and now everything seems good

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: spb