• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roland Xj 740 printheads misaligned when parked on cap tops

swirls

Hi.

I have a Roland XJ 740 which I changed the carriage belt, scan motor, encoder scale and sensor. I did the limit initialization and the linear encoder test and both passed successfully.

The problem I’m faced with is whenever the carriage leaves the capping station and comes back to park on top of the cap top, the heads are off center (the carriage drifts more and more to the right each time) leaving the heads exposed and park on top of the black vertical plastic frame beside the cap top which eventually gonna cost me some heads .

I did a sensor check test and all seem well. I even cleaned the sensor that the carriage plating goes through.

I’m not sure what I’m over looking. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 45BF93C0-77B3-4B8F-B41B-45B873597C10.jpeg
    45BF93C0-77B3-4B8F-B41B-45B873597C10.jpeg
    200.7 KB · Views: 278

swirls

Clean the encoder strip more above the capping station, do another limit initialization and make sure you set it on the lock correctly.
I’ll do that when I get in tomorrow. Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol would do? When you say lock correctly, you are referring to having the cap tops lock onto the heads fully when doing the limit initialization?

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
This sounds like a dirty linear encoder or the the reader. I second Terry01’s comment about cleaning it properly, but then go through all the relevant steps for having replace encoders parts and also reset the counters for those parts for good measure and usage tracking.

swirls

Most Rolands are the same for the limit initialize setting
The difference with the XJ 740 is,
1) - it doesn’t have a carriage lock mechanism that gives that click lock sound by the capping station
2) - the sheet cut mechanism is not detachable from carriage.

The process I did for the limit initialization and the linear encoder setup was completed successfully.
It’s a possibility that the encoder scale by the capping station may have finger prints on it from the installation process which was a little tight to work around.

StephenOrange I don’t recall seeing any reset counter for the encoder strip / sensor but I’ll make another check.

swirls

The only other thing I can think of, is the capping station height hasn't been set and the two locators aren't positioning the head carriage properly.
Page 170 https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1645297/Roland-Soljet-Pro-Iii-Xj-540.html?page=170#manual
Hmmm. That would be an odd one. I’m more leaning towards the encoder scale by the capping station needs cleaning and hoping that solves the problem.
I’ll be at the machine within the hour and I’ll update you.

swirls

I did the clean of the encoder scale above the capping station. Now I’m getting an internal error 1942091 while doing a test print. The carriage stopped above the mist sponge - wiper station- capping station.

Terry01

Did you turn machine off and then back on after doing any settings adjustments? Need to do that to save all settings.

Internal Error 1942091 could be caused by a variety of factors (e.g. flushing adjustment, encoder scale/sensor issue, belt tension, etc)

swirls

Did you turn machine off and then back on after doing any settings adjustments? Need to do that to save all settings.

Internal Error 1942091 could be caused by a variety of factors (e.g. flushing adjustment, encoder scale/sensor issue, belt tension, etc)
I didn’t turn off the machine. .
Let me do the setup all over and then power down with the main power at the back.

Terry01

Have you got something overloading your scan motor? Carriage rail clean, tensions correct, bearings lubricated and free, encoder strip clean,sensors all testing ok? Theres a number of things that add together to cause the issues you are having.

swirls

Have you got something overloading your scan motor? Carriage rail clean, tensions correct, bearings lubricated and free, encoder strip clean,sensors all testing ok? Theres a number of things that add together to cause the issues you are having.
The scan motor seems to be installed ok. The tension on the belt is not overly tight. I don’t have one of the tension gauge to use.
The encoder scale and sensor are all clean.

Terry01

Recheck everything, tighten the belt slightly more and test again. The slightest deviation will give errors. Download the service manual and follow all procedures.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't know if this model has an environmental match but if it does, I would run that. It should sync the linear and motor encoders.

swirls

Terry01
Thanks for your assistance.
I think I made a break through. The problem seem to be with the encoder sensor. After comparing the old and the new one, the old one was made in Japan and the new one was made in China.
I cleaned the old one with a cleaning cloth and alcohol and reinstalled it and did the setups all over and everything worked. I’m not sure if the new one had a factory fault or something.
After doing several scan aging and recapping, the head comes back to the correct position to be capped with the cap top.
I’ll put it through some more runs and give an up on Friday into the weekend.

Thanks
Cheers