• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Roland XR-640

LaurisGr

Hi All,
so I am new in print & cut and looking to get used Roland XR-640.
Just got test print and history report from Roland that I might be buying, all attached. There are few questions that I would like to ask a more experienced people as most of you are:

- This machine runs on 2 x DX7 printheads which are expensive to replace. In terms of shot counts highlighted nozzles are in a region of 5+billion. What are your thoughts on that? It would be awesome if someone could share from their experience on how long these heads last, I've seen someone mentioning 6-8 billion shot counts.

- Test print. Maybe silly questions, but still wanted to ask:
Yellow colour seems very weak, should I be concerned about it?
Little gaps in the very middle of test print (highlighted), is that ok?

Any help / advice would be appreciated. Thanks All.

Lauris

6F57D7A6-942B-4CE5-98CC-8B22B107FAC2.jpg
06109144-2409-4664-B8C6-2A40A385CEB8.jpg

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I can't tell from the photo on the yellow because it's a bit dark, but the test print looks good to me. I'm not sure if that gap is an issue and I don't know much about shot counts. I have had my XR-640 for 5 years now and haven't had any issues with it at all. Never replaced a print head. It's a work horse and print quality is amazing.

Cory Marcin

Test print looks good.
We've had our XR for 6 years. We've replaced 2 print heads, but those were operator related.
Overall a great workhorse printer.
I don't know much about shot counts, what are you paying for the printer?
Maybe offer $2,000 less to account for any unforseen issues?

Good luck.

jeffdpia

Digital Print Orchestrator
The gap is corrected by running the calibration in the menu. We have an XF version and running murals on it we hit 5 billion
in less than 2 years. The cyan channel in one of the heads would require constant cleaning to keep firing (a real pita) but the other head was still fine. Not knowing when the nozzles would cut out was getting old . Luckily we had a service contract and had the heads were replaced with the capping station. If you intend to use this machine on a regular basis bank some money for heads and a tech. Could go 6 months or 2 years, no telling.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
DX7 heads are rated at 6 billion fires. Usually magenta and yellow will be the first to hit that mark. Judging by your service report, that machine is on it's original heads. I see these heads last anywhere from 3 to 10 years depending on use with the average being about 4 - 5 years. The test print looks great which means they probably took care of this machine. The gap is caused by the print feed calibration. It's not something to worry about since it is easily adjustable.

LaurisGr

Test print looks good.
We've had our XR for 6 years. We've replaced 2 print heads, but those were operator related.
Overall a great workhorse printer.
I don't know much about shot counts, what are you paying for the printer?
Maybe offer $2,000 less to account for any unforseen issues?

Good luck.

Thanks Cory,
It's currently on sale here in UK for GBP9600 ($12,150). Hard to figure out what would be fair price due to limited offer here in Europe, but will definitely try to negotiate a bit lower price given that resource of heads is a bit uncertain due to age / shot counts.

LaurisGr

The gap is corrected by running the calibration in the menu. We have an XF version and running murals on it we hit 5 billion
in less than 2 years. The cyan channel in one of the heads would require constant cleaning to keep firing (a real pita) but the other head was still fine. Not knowing when the nozzles would cut out was getting old . Luckily we had a service contract and had the heads were replaced with the capping station. If you intend to use this machine on a regular basis bank some money for heads and a tech. Could go 6 months or 2 years, no telling.

Thanks Jeff,
I also was estimating that worst case scenario could be 6 months, painful, but it is what it is.

C5 Service&Repair

Everything looks good on that report and test print. The heads are at 5 billion shots, but they show no signs of wear or issues on the test.