• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Roll to Roll Label printer/cutter

Draggin

Hey everyone!

Just wondering what your roll to roll label printing/cutting solutions are??

Thanks in Advance!

Draggin

what is your anticipated quantity?
Not sure, at this point I have two clients who use a lot of labels but am anticipating more. Just wondering if I should invest in a roll to roll system or get a smaller printer/cutter to do just small rolls on 3" cores

Draggin

ALSO, what about the ability to print directly to mylar bags?? anyone doing this on a small job/many client basis??

CanuckSigns

If you only have a few clients that require it, I would outsource the roll labels to somewhere like Stouse, while you continue to market to other clients, once you get to the point where its economically feasible, look into getting a roll label printer.

I looked into this about a year ago, Epson makes a small inkjet machine that will print roll labels, last time I looked it was around $15,000, then you need a cutter/slitter/laminator unit which is another $20,000 + This setup will let you do smaller runs of labels, large runs are done on huge presses that run thousands of feet of material through a minute, you will never be able to compete with that.

Goatshaver

Hey everyone!

Just wondering what your roll to roll label printing/cutting solutions are??

Thanks in Advance!

I actually just purchased the Afinia L801 and Matrix remover/slitter. I couldn't justify the cost for the finisher for the stuff I'm doing which doesn't really need laminate. I could use the custom cut option but again the price is from $14k-$20k for entry level finisher.

I haven't had much time to use it yet but I will say with the memjet head the printer literally spits labels so quickly..you can print 6inch per second or 12inch per second on it.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
The 801 is an excellent machine. Quality is great and speed is insane. If you can stick with pre-cut blanks, you're right... a fully featured finisher isn't needed and a cheap(ish) matrix remover is all you need to produce thousands of labels a day.

ikarasu

Arent non ore cut materials cheaper by like a factor of 10? When I looked into an afinia I couldn't produce labels for cheaper than I could outsource them because ore cuts were so expensive.

Bulk labels are so cheap via offset pricing you can't even compete. I'd say digital label makers fall between the low / mid quantity tier... And in order to compete with that I feel like a finisher is a must. Not to mention most people these days want full colored with no white outside, which makes a finisher a must.

I could be wrong... But I did a lot of research before deciding not to purchase one until I can get a finisher as well for cheap.

Draggin

Arent non ore cut materials cheaper by like a factor of 10? When I looked into an afinia I couldn't produce labels for cheaper than I could outsource them because ore cuts were so expensive.

Bulk labels are so cheap via offset pricing you can't even compete. I'd say digital label makers fall between the low / mid quantity tier... And in order to compete with that I feel like a finisher is a must. Not to mention most people these days want full colored with no white outside, which makes a finisher a must.

I could be wrong... But I did a lot of research before deciding not to purchase one until I can get a finisher as well for cheap.

Yeah it sounds like it would be a really expensive endeavor but I can't seem to find anyone who does vinyl labels cut to client wishes. Thanks for responding.

CanuckSigns

We are able to do short runs on our epson s80600, we use our summa f1612 to kiss cut the decals then cut them into long strips and splice them together and roll them up. You can make batches of 1000 or 2000 pretty easily.

Note if the client is going to be applying them by machine my method won't work, but if you are applying by machine you aren't ordering 1000 decals.

Attachments

• 20200825_101949.jpg
    20200825_101949.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 178

Draggin

We are able to do short runs on our epson s80600, we use our summa f1612 to kiss cut the decals then cut them into long strips and splice them together and roll them up. You can make batches of 1000 or 2000 pretty easily.

Note if the client is going to be applying them by machine my method won't work, but if you are applying by machine you aren't ordering 1000 decals.
Yeah, they basically stated that if I was able to print in rolls that they'd invest in a machine but I can't justify the cost rn. Thanks!