• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Router bit longevity???

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Have you tried these?

Our canadian supplier couldnt find any...we had to order one on ebay. We got it for when we cut aluminum with prints, since youcant use mist when its got vinyl on top. We've used it a dozen or so times and it's still good... it may last longer since its designed for no coolant.

https://www.cncshop.com/uk_en/router-bits/belin-single-flute-upward-spiral-no-coolant.html A link to the UK store so you can get part numbers... Seems even though they posted the video on their website, the supplier doesn't sell them in USA/Canada.
Those DLC coatings are nice

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Yeah, all the stuff I routed was mill finish. We got a batch in that cut like sh*t, come to find out they bought from a different vendor that
sold inferior sheets... You're right, not sure how you would know once they're painted, unless you get the spec sheet... but I couldn't tell you what the numbers should be :)

last year there were some arguments with distributors over materials. some pointed out to say the tariffs have influenced what actual alloy type was being sold due to price. One of the main giveaways was when we started to have to use coated bits and misting some to prevent immediate melting/fusing of the chips to the bit.

ikarasu

I thought slowing your bit down too much can actually kill its lifespan? Theres a certain sweet spot - Too slow and its not moving enough to cooldown... too fast and the friction will cause it to over heat.

Every manufacturer has a RPM/feed rate setting for that bit... I don't do too much CNC work as I'm just a backup... I can "Get by" using all our saved settings, But I do all our purchasing - I bought 10 bits about a year ago and havent needed more - And we've gone through 4-5 skids on material, so roughly 300 sheets. Which means we get at least 30 sheets per bit on .081 sign grade aluminum. Sounds a bit high to me... but some stuff can be 4x4/4x8 sheets, so its not doing too much cutting.

Our onsrud book has feed and speed rates for every bit. It's a great starting point.