• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing 3mm Coroplast. What bit???

mreffex

I have routed 3mm coroplast shapes and other designs. my problem i am having is the coro frays around my cut shape and im using a new bit and used an older bit but, both still leave fray on edges and the inside flute parts don't get cut they fold over. im running at 24000 rpm and a feed rate of 150,100,60,200 nothing seems to work. also, i will run the bit clockwise or counter but same end product. Are there certain bits i can use or any other ideas that might make it work? thanks alot mike

k.a.s.

I have tried to rout coro as well, all the things you tried sound like what I tried. Basicly I think the problem is that inner parts (flutes) just fold over rather than cut because they are so thin. On the job I was doing I just ended up living with it and trimming the edges with a utillity knife when they were done. If anyone has any solutions I would be interested in them as well.

Kevin

andy

Try running with a much lower feed rate- something like 500mm p/m.
For delicate materials it's better to "mill" rather than cut on your CNC.

What type of bit are you using? single flue? end mill? spiral?

Single flute is best for plastic- sharp is always better. 24,000 rpm might be too fast- 16-18,000 is recommended for most plastics.

jayhawksigns

Two words - Hartlauer Bits

Dave there is awesome, we have been having the same problem forever and he recommended a different bit that the Onsrud rep suggested at a recent show.

What we got was an Onsrud 62-718, a single flute downward spiral. And I will say that it made a big difference in the cut. There were still a few "flags" in spots, but not the usual leftovers that we got when we were using either straight or upward spirals.

wonsngis

What we got was an Onsrud 62-718, a single flute downward spiral. And I will say that it made a big difference in the cut. There were still a few "flags" in spots, but not the usual leftovers that we got when we were using either straight or upward spirals.

I tried it this morning... spectacular results! I used a feedrate of 30 ipm

flat rock stan

Can you pick the bit up anywhere or is it a special order and can I use it on the router and table set I bought last year at HD or am I way off base? Never used it but am trying to shape some yard signs without spending much.