• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

routing corian

bill hamm

Got a question, I just finished a huge corian job, I cut it dry with 5.5 hp pc router on my cnc, for 4 days I felt as though I had rolled around in fiberglass, should I have done this wet, I had 2- 6.5 hp vacs attached both running, and the mess is ungodly, I route all types of plastics, aluminum, redwood, ceder. plywood but never have I had a problem like that, I cut all metals wet but all plastics dry. Any help with how you do it would be great, Don't want to stop I have about 30 - 30"x12' sheets in stock, Thanks to all
Bill

dennis j

Bill,

I have done a quite a bit of solid surface routing but never had this problem.

I am running 1 6.5 hp vac it is located in a different room, I did this just for noise, I have a bag and a filter in the vac maybe that is why I have not had any problem. I do have a second vac that I keep in the router room just for clean up it also has a filter and a bag I started using a bag with the filter to help stop the fine particles. Hope this helps.

SIGNPOWER

Hi Bill, re: Corian

As a long time conventional and CNC machinist we always used
a synthetic coolant and cut it 10 water to 1 coolant when we
machined acrylic, carbon or delron...superior finish.

Check your feed/speed you might be cutting to slow
thus creating more dust than "chips". I would try picking up
feed first and hold the speed. You need to find that sweet spot.
Good luck, Marc

bill hamm

Thanks, I'll give it all a try, my vacs have filters but no bag, I tried a new vac today, a whole shop vac with 2 large bags one up and one down, bought it at homedepot a year or so ago for my saws did not work at all, but I'll try speeding it up a little, I tried using a little water, the second time with no vac, bigger mess but no particals in the air. I too keep that machine in a different room and it has a drain in the middle of the floor, but tell me what you think about putting an exaust fan in the room also like I have in the paint booth.
Thanks
Bill

dennis j

Bill,

I think that Marc may be on to something it just so happens that I have more chips than dust also.
:signs101:
Dennis

openwood

Dennis
I have finally become a corian approved corian fabracator.They had to tour my shop and asked about my aplication and what the job i was bidding.they even wanted to know the name of the developer.and after passing a credit check i was told i was able to attend there fabracation class.
Did anyone else that uses corian have to jump through this many hoops just to be able to buy corian??I dont know if it was worth it. the class isnt even avalible untill may,when I will be dealing with the spring rush.:help:
Brian

dennis j

Brian,
The Corian that I had I got as seconds I didn't have that problem.
Formica makes a solid surface have you checked in to this product? I have used Formica solid surface, I think there is a Dealer near you if you go to the Formica web site you can do a dealer search http://www.formica.com/home.jsp. Hope this helps.:smile: