• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Routing Ultraboard foam speeds and feeds smooth edge

nolanola

Hello.
I was in a grocery store and noticed that nice sign with a smooth edge (yellow, image attached).
I assume it's ultraboard.
We can not achieve that.
What bit and what speeds and feeds do you use?

Ultraboard website says:
Onsrud bit # 52-564 (2 flute, upcut, 1/4", 2-1/4", 1/4" feed rate 125” per minute run at 18,000 rpm)

We used a similar bit, and even after heavy priming and sanding the edges would be ugly (green, image attached).

Thank you.

Attachments

• nice 2.jpg
    nice 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 712
  • nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 567
  • ugly.jpg
    ugly.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 564

Superior_Adam

That yellow sign does not look like UltraBoard Foam Substrate. It looks more like a PVC to me. On foam products we knife cut them on our Zund.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
I don't print a lot of Ultraboard but I do I print a lot of Gatorfoam. It is very prone to bit direction. Going one direction looks good while the other doesn't. Maybe you've already tried that and maybe Ultraboard foam doesn't react the same way but it's worth a shot.

Andy D

I worked at a place a few years back that cut a lot of coro, foam board, gator board, sintra, even cardboard &
their router had a completely different head for every substrate... for example, the foam board was a vibrating straight edge blade.

Pitzu

Looks like high density extruded polystyrene...we cut it every day for letters. We usually use Datron - Triple flute end mill with toric cut for PU foam, using conventional milling.... and the finish is like the yellow letters. Even so, we don't consider it smooth edge. Hot wire cut is a lot smoother.
In foam board the core doesn't have high density as the extruded polystyrene and the edge ends up like the green letter. Oscillating knife might give a better finish.

nolanola

Looks like high density extruded polystyrene...we cut it every day for letters. We usually use Datron - Triple flute end mill with toric cut for PU foam, using conventional milling.... and the finish is like the yellow letters. Even so, we don't consider it smooth edge. Hot wire cut is a lot smoother.
In foam board the core doesn't have high density as the extruded polystyrene and the edge ends up like the green letter. Oscillating knife might give a better finish.
Great.
Who supplies high density extruded polystyrene?
What brands do you use?

Emd2kick

I worked at a place a few years back that cut a lot of coro, foam board, gator board, sintra, even cardboard &
their router had a completely different head for every substrate... for example, the foam board was a vibrating straight edge blade.
Andy, it's called an oscillating knife.

Pitzu

Great.
Who supplies high density extruded polystyrene?
What brands do you use?
I don't know if the brand we use (Apla XPS RF) is found in the US, but the most important is to be high density and have smooth faces, since you can also find models with rugged faces. It's widely used in construction for thermal insulation. We mostly use water based paint, since the solvent based paint will melt the foam.
High density polyurethane sheets should work also. I believe these could give you a better finish than extruded polystirene. You have to do some tests. These are also used in construction for thermal insulation.
For special applications there is Necuron: http://necumer.com/index.php/en/products/board-materials
In the US there is Corafoam https://www.dunagroup.com/usa/products/foams/corafoam-high-density

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, the Claude sign looks more like expanded foam PVC with machines pretty well and it's much denser than Ultraboard so it will accept paint better. However, you can do it with Ultraboard if you're looking for something cheaper then PVC. For feeds and speeds, we use Belin 13317A which is a 1/8" single flute upcut spiral for plastic at 50ipm at 22,000 rpm. Its works beautifully.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk