• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Royal Sovereign 1651CLTW

noregrets

I am seriously considering purchasing one of these, anybody out there with one care to share thier experience with it, good/bad/ugly?

Thanks heaps!

Custom_Grafx

I have the 1650LSH.

Was surprised to find out that the take up on the back (to take up the laminated finished product) was not a standard fitting. Without that, and the feeder from the front, the machine is useless. Make sure you get it.

Custom_Grafx

Sorry, was meant to go on...

Otherwise it's an ok machine. I have lost a few prints, but that's my fault. As with all newly acquired equipment, there is always a learning curve, no matter what you're used to I think.

I find the machine works best when high tension is applied, especially on the feed and laminate rollers.

The machine is also good for mounting... despite its large size, even small items are nice and easy to mount cut vinyl and the such.

noregrets

Thanks mate, I will check about the take up - I too would have thought that was standard.

I did think about a cheap chinese one for just over 1k, but think I will still go for the Royal Sov.

The problem for me is that I live in the middle of nowhere, so pretty much have to buy these things without getting the chance to see them in the flesh first
:thankyou:

Jamie Nicholson

I was looking at a Royal Sovereign, but ended up with a Seal in the last week, it was a little more money, but user friendly and a couple little perks to make it run smooth and easy, caught onto it overnight

Custom_Grafx

Yeah was a bit of an ordeal getting it put on. The main board controller actually needs an additional IC chip to tell the take up motor to wind it up. Would be alot easier if they just made it standard... I mean, who gets a 1650 laminator and doesn't print longer than a metre?

If you can get a seal, get that though... I couldn't afford one.

MIMO

Same. We have the RSH 1651. I feel that it was good value for the money. And yes, the take up option is worth every penny. My only complaint is that the take up runs on an electric motor, not chain driven from the main drive, so you're doing some starting and stopping of the little winder as it runs since it doesn't synchronize with the main drive. And if you're in the middle of nowhere as you say, you'll be installing the takeup yourself, which isn't a huge deal as long as you're generally handy (I ended up having to do it myself and it took me about 2 hours).

noregrets

According to the specs it does come with a chain driven syncronised take up, will confirm this with the supplier though.

So is there enough to justify the extra 4k over a cheap chinese counterpart?

Custom_Grafx

According to the specs it does come with a chain driven syncronised take up, will confirm this with the supplier though.

So is there enough to justify the extra 4k over a cheap chinese counterpart?

That's exactly where I had problems. (as well as my supplier). The brochure says it's included, but it aint.

I haven't used a cheap chinese laminator, but I have used a manual mounting machine, and I miss it dearly.

For jobs less than 1-1.5 metres, I actually prefer the manual mounting machine, as do most people here seem to like the big squeegee.

Manual methods are far better than using a laminating machine for smaller jobs. If I had the space, I would have kept it and used it for smaller jobs. Also, it is better for mounting too :(

noregrets

yeah, the chinese one is pretty much like your link - all manual operation. I just spoke to the supplier who like you said just realised that it doesnt actually come with the take up.....

Most of the items I will be laminating will be 1.5m x 3m. I have a big squeegie which I use at the moment for the small stuff.

So did the mounting machine that you had not cut the mustard for the bigger stuff?

Custom_Grafx

I wouldn't recommend it for anything bigger than maybe 2 metres.

For anything up to that size though... it's the best thing for it.

MIMO

Sorry I should have been more clear. The take up is indeed both a standard part of the machine and is chain driven off the main drive. They call the optional parts a front and rear winder assembly and the rear is driven by an electric motor.