• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Running wires for signs that are above the ceiling line

Signs.from.god

Hi folks, I’m hoping someone can guide me here.

I am trying to quote a halo lit sign for a customer but the sign needs to be higher than his ceiling/roof line I am wondering what you can recommend in terms of running each wire ? I tried to convince the customer to do the sign on a backer but he wants each individual halo lit letter installed in a brick wall and there’s also an I beam across half the letters. I am in a tough predicament and hoping someone had a similar issue and was able to navigate. TIA!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You talking about a parapet wall? Is there a void in the parapet that can be accessed from the interior ceiling? If so, drop the wires down there. If not, run them though the other side of the parapet and connect them on the roof. If there is a beam in the way, can you raise or lower the letters so the wires can pass though? If not, do a wireway with a backer... not sure any other way.

PXL_20230208_221329541.jpg

Scotchbrite

No comment
We usually drop the wires down thru the parapet wall "void" into the area below the roof to make up the connections and mount power supplies. It can be tricky when there's a support beam in the way. Like Texas_Signmaker mentioned, hold the penetrations to the bottom of the letters if that can get you below the beam.

We've done the wireways on the back side of a parapet, but hate having to make those penetrations, especially with particular roof types.

ProSignTN

I love 100% silicone, but when gong through an elastomeric rubber roof (or rubber Parapet) I recommend a neoprene sealant such as Black Jack Neoprene Super Flash Cement. If you're not sure or can't find it at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace or True Value, try a local commercial roofer for a couple tubes. By all means AVOID the steel beam.

JBurton

Signtologist
If not, do a wireway with a backer... not sure any other way.
You mean like a raceway (folded pan) on the backside of the wall with a lid that provides access and a flange for the roofer to seal around? It's a heck of a lot easier than pulling and daisy chaining all those connections...

We've done the wireways on the back side of a parapet, but hate having to make those penetrations, especially with particular roof types.
Like this, but I am always sure to get with the roofer to seal up what I've done on a membrane roof.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You mean like a raceway (folded pan) on the backside of the wall with a lid that provides access and a flange for the roofer to seal around? It's a heck of a lot easier than pulling and daisy chaining all those connections...

Like this, but I am always sure to get with the roofer to seal up what I've done on a membrane roof.

Yup

IMG_1868.jpg

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

Yeah, that's too many penetrations. Good way to rot out a ceiling. The whole point of a membrane system is to have no penetrations, then the sign guy comes along and drills a million holes in it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah, that's too many penetrations. Good way to rot out a ceiling. The whole point of a membrane system is to have no penetrations, then the sign guy comes along and drills a million holes in it.
They want flush mount channel letters... they got em! 100+ holes. If it was a wireway maybe 4 or 5.