• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S Class - how many pinch rollers do you need?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Our Summa S2 T160 has had a few problems as of late, as we’ve been running a LOT of floor vinyl recently, I’ve found that sometimes (even calibrated) it has a bit trouble with keeping the media flat enough to read the barcode properly and then fails.

The media is 54”, I have 4 pinch rollers. I’ve found that if I move three to the right hand side (over the barcode) and one on the far left, it has no trouble reading the barcode, but doesn’t seem to track as well as if I’d had the pinch rollers evenly spaced.

Im thinking about adding extra pinch rollers due to this, how many do you guys suggest? I’m thinking at least another 2 so I can keep everything in symmetry.

has anyone had any problems like this and sorted it with the extra pinch rollers? As I mentioned we have been having a lot of trouble lately but can’t get a tech out due to the Covid situation so not sure how much a dodgy main board plays a part here lol

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Do they just help with the tracking or can you up the speed a bit and still keep everything running smoothly with the extra rollers?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
The accuracy shouldn't be affected by adding additional pinch rollers in the middle(the middle rollers have half the pressure of the outer rollers and the outer rolls are primarily responsible for material tracking), however your minimum cut width does increase by adding each roller by about 2.5". So, if you plan on adding additional rollers but may also need to cut narrower rolls of media or scrap pieces you may want to limit the total number of additional rollers that you add. If you are working with materials that want to flex or create high points that the blade may scratch as the heading is moving around then the additional rollers will help quite a bit in those situations.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112(office)
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Miftah

The accuracy shouldn't be affected by adding additional pinch rollers in the middle(the middle rollers have half the pressure of the outer rollers and the outer rolls are primarily responsible for material tracking), however your minimum cut width does increase by adding each roller by about 2.5". So, if you plan on adding additional rollers but may also need to cut narrower rolls of media or scrap pieces you may want to limit the total number of additional rollers that you add. If you are working with materials that want to flex or create high points that the blade may scratch as the heading is moving around then the additional rollers will help quite a bit in those situations.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Thats the thing...
I read on this forum that other user also experience significant increase of accuracy when adding the rollers...
Mine has been collecting dust for close to 4 months...

Summa engineer had came over and do all the neccessary callibrations but still not giving good result...

Any ideas?

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Thats the thing...
I read on this forum that other user also experience significant increase of accuracy when adding the rollers...
Mine has been collecting dust for close to 4 months...

Summa engineer had came over and do all the neccessary callibrations but still not giving good result...

Any ideas?

If your accuracy issues are being caused because the material is flexing/puckering, then yes, adding the extra rollers will keep the material down flatter and reduce the gap distances between the rollers and your cuts should be more accurate. They will also help to prevent the knife from scratching the surface of your material as well. If you are cutting a material that isn't flexing/puckering then adding additional rollers will likely have little to no impact in improving the accuracy of your cuts.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(509)280-6354(cell)
philj@airmark.com

Logan Powell

If your accuracy issues are being caused because the material is flexing/puckering, then yes, adding the extra rollers will keep the material down flatter and reduce the gap distances between the rollers and your cuts should be more accurate. They will also help to prevent the knife from scratching the surface of your material as well. If you are cutting a material that isn't flexing/puckering then adding additional rollers will likely have little to no impact in improving the accuracy of your cuts.

Phil,

I just got hold of a busted Summa S Class and want to transfer the rollers from it to mine. Do you have a copy of the upgrade manual handy?

Logan