• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

S160T - Service Mode?

natallica

Graphics Guru
Our S160T has been acting wonky for quite some time and I've been speaking with Phil@airmark regarding our issues. Who is a fantastic help BTW! It's seemingly down to a new PCB/Touchscreen combo upgrade kit or a new cutter. While were still tossing around the new cutter plan (S2 160T OPOS-CAM). I was curious to see if anyone has tinkered around in Service Mode.

I found out how to get into it by reading here on the forums, and I wanted to test some things on our machine, but I can only get so far in the test menus. I can use a scrap of vinyl and test the load media switch and a few optical sensors and running an x/y motor test, but after that I'm lost as to what some of these things are and where they are located (i.e Ultrasonic Sensor)

I realize it's probably a TECH ONLY closely guarded secret, but the machine is vintage 2008 so I don't think I can do much harm in there. Besides, I'm a firm believer in the 'right to repair' movement and I'm pretty slick when it comes to replacing/fixing or even band-aiding issues as they arise. I'd rather have 2 cutters as opposed to tossing one in a dumpster.

Could anyone out there point me in a direction or have a walkthrough, some advice in navigating through these settings? I just want to see if 'mechanically' and electronically' things are up to snuff.

Thanks in advance

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Do the Burn in and you will find out if it's up to the task or scraps :big laugh:
It's 13 years old, anything can give at any time.

FrankW

The ultrasonic sensor is the media sensor of the take up-unit (pretty shure).

I think you do not have to know every detail of the service mode, you just needs to know what you need to solve problems. Or you can try to get a service manual.

natallica

Graphics Guru

I think you do not have to know every detail of the service mode, you just needs to know what you need to solve problems. Or you can try to get a service manual.
Unfortunately we don't have the Summa take up on this unit, however I did retrofit an HP 5500 take up system to it :)

I'd love to find the service manual, I've searched the whole internet to no avail, but I have manuals for all of our printers/cutters/Hermes engravers/laminators etc.

natallica

Graphics Guru

Hi FrankW,
You wouldn't happen to know where one could obtain this service manual, do you?

-N8

FrankW

You could get one from Summa if you are an authorized service technician. I have no other idea to get one.