• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Safe temperatures for storing sign equipment ***

decalman

I'm interested to find out safe temps for storing business related sign equipment such as.....vinyl, mask, plotters, lap tops, printers, etc.

We got a heat wave going on out west right now, as you know.
Triple digits here in Arizona land.

I suspect that paper mask is the most sensitive to heat. It's my guess, that vinyl is much more resilient.
I contacted Summa about plotter storage. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that my 30 Inch d75 and all other Summa plotters are practically temperature proof. It's safe up to 158 f. See attachment

Attachments

• 20210615_114919.jpg
    20210615_114919.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

unclebun

Humidity is what kills paper premask. You might not have much of it there. Vinyl that gets too hot begins to stick to the release paper. I started out working in a shop that was unairconditioned (a very long time ago). Finally convinced my boss to air condition the office and store the materials in there.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yea, I don't the heat itself will hurt much ... but when you work with it, it will be more difficult. It's 100 here and they vinyl is getting more aggressive and doesn't come off liner as well, and it's more floppy. 100 is a cool breeze compared to what you guys are getting right now. 115?

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I feel like I'm melting when it's 85. I don't think my Norwegian blood would survive down south.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Sh*t, I'd take the 115 arizona's getting and trade for the 90F/95% humidity we had all last week. Stand in front of a building for 5 minutes? Soaked.
And yeah, vinyl starts stick so much harder to backer, even the synthetic liners.
Yea, earlier this week was brutal after all that rain.. It was a steam bath outside. Today was much better... humidity went down alot. Maybe yall will get some of the drier air over there.

victor bogdanov

My ac can barely keep it at 82 degrees when it's close to 100 outside here in Houston. No issues with materials, only time I get problems with tranfer tape from high humidity is when it's low 70s outside and not hot enough to run the ac.