• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Safety and Security Films

vid

Does any one have experience with "Safety and Security Films like this 3M product?

If you've installed it, how does it attach to the glass frame?

What's the clarity like?

Any known issues with the stuff?

Links to other manufacturers or vendors of this type of product?

It would primarily be used to thwart burglary...

Thanks for your time.

haven't used this from 3m

you can take a look at solargard they have a range of window films called Armorgard.

protects against breakage/UV, superb clarity, goes on like window tint.

vid

Thank you! That's the type of stuff I'm looking for.

Have you installed the stuff?

Does it attach to the door or window frame somehow?

CanuckSigns

I had a customer looking for it a little while ago, Called our 3M supplier and they couldn't get it as they were a 3M Graphics dealer, and the security film falls under their "security" line up, so completly different dealers.

So I called a local company that installs the stuff, very knowledgeable guys. He went over what was involved in correctly installing it and it's not at all the same as vinyl, the frames around the window need to be removed so the film gets installed under the frame, then there is a special adhesive that is used to bond the edge of the film to the frame to keep the whole window in place when someone tries to smash it. then the frame gets reinstalled.

in the end we opted to sub the job out to these guys, they did a great job, and since we were reselling they gave us a bit of a break on the price.

The stuff is pretty clear, but you can still tell there is a film on the glass.

Sign_Boy

I had a customer looking for it a little while ago, Called our 3M supplier and they couldn't get it as they were a 3M Graphics dealer, and the security film falls under their "security" line up, so completly different dealers.

So I called a local company that installs the stuff, very knowledgeable guys. He went over what was involved in correctly installing it and it's not at all the same as vinyl, the frames around the window need to be removed so the film gets installed under the frame, then there is a special adhesive that is used to bond the edge of the film to the frame to keep the whole window in place when someone tries to smash it. then the frame gets reinstalled.

in the end we opted to sub the job out to these guys, they did a great job, and since we were reselling they gave us a bit of a break on the price.

The stuff is pretty clear, but you can still tell there is a film on the glass.

Thanks so much for all this great info !!
I wouldn't have thought to remove the window from the frame, but it makes sense.
Do you remember what 3M called the film?
Sound like finding a window pro for this is the way to go.

Thanks again for all your help - I have a feeling you just saved me from a giant PITA job !!
:thumb::thumb::supersmilie::supersmilie:

CanuckSigns

Thanks so much for all this great info !!
I wouldn't have thought to remove the window from the frame, but it makes sense.
Do you remember what 3M called the film?
Sound like finding a window pro for this is the way to go.

Thanks again for all your help - I have a feeling you just saved me from a giant PITA job !!
:thumb::thumb::supersmilie::supersmilie:

yup the 2 most popular films from 3M are:

Scotchshield ultra S800
Scotchshield ultra S600

Chasez

yup the 2 most popular films from 3M are:

Scotchshield ultra S800
Scotchshield ultra S600

I agree, and the Ultra S600 is by far superior than any other manufacturers comparable 6mil product (ie. tear resistant). We are a 3M authorized dealer (in Canada) and we sell so much of this product.

As far as installation, its not really the type of framework but the glass itself. If it is annealed glass (breaks into large shards) the films can be installed outside the frames (not under/behind the stops) as it will help keep in 1 sheet, added protection can be added by adding silicone around all edges using the Dow 995 structural silicone, even more protection you can screw in a "L" bracket the length of the stops and silicone in between there and the window. If the glass is tempered (breaks into little cubes like your car window) then it HAS to go behind the stops/framework. In this case if it is not behind the stops the sheet will break and fall in in 1 large sheet. If you can't install behind the stops, use the Dow 995 silicone and silicone the edges, and/or add in the "L" bracket.

As far as installation it's sort of similar to the installation of vinyl but not really. You want to use a good medium-hard squeegee to install, going over it twice to ensure you remove as much solution as possible. Be very careful about putting crinks in the material as they do not come out and pretty much make the sheet garbage. I would suggest that you don't try installing this material yourself unless you have done it before as it can be a very pricey mistake. I would find someone local who has experience with this material to install it (in Canada you can find a list of dealers on Convenience Group Inc.'s website).

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Chaz

Sign_Boy

I agree, and the Ultra S600 is by far superior than any other manufacturers comparable 6mil product (ie. tear resistant). We are a 3M authorized dealer (in Canada) and we sell so much of this product.

As far as installation, its not really the type of framework but the glass itself. If it is annealed glass (breaks into large shards) the films can be installed outside the frames (not under/behind the stops) as it will help keep in 1 sheet, added protection can be added by adding silicone around all edges using the Dow 995 structural silicone, even more protection you can screw in a "L" bracket the length of the stops and silicone in between there and the window. If the glass is tempered (breaks into little cubes like your car window) then it HAS to go behind the stops/framework. In this case if it is not behind the stops the sheet will break and fall in in 1 large sheet. If you can't install behind the stops, use the Dow 995 silicone and silicone the edges, and/or add in the "L" bracket.

As far as installation it's sort of similar to the installation of vinyl but not really. You want to use a good medium-hard squeegee to install, going over it twice to ensure you remove as much solution as possible. Be very careful about putting crinks in the material as they do not come out and pretty much make the sheet garbage. I would suggest that you don't try installing this material yourself unless you have done it before as it can be a very pricey mistake. I would find someone local who has experience with this material to install it (in Canada you can find a list of dealers on Convenience Group Inc.'s website).

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Chaz

Chaz,

Thank you for all the great info as well !!

I just spoke to the customer (a great buddy of mine) and recommended he call a glass guy. It just looks like there are too many variables with this stuff and having never done it before; it's best I pass on this job. I don't feel like digging a hole that I can't get out of. I did recommend that he check out 3M or at least inquire about the S600 when he speaks to the pros.

Thank you all once again for the advise and great info. I greatly appreciate it !!

:supersmilie:

Chasez

I would tell your buddy to be careful as a lot of people who sell these products do the good ol' bait n switch on the material. When they get it installed, if they take a look at the boxes, should be 3m all over them, as well as the core will be red plastic. Also they can request the roll/run numbers (in Canada they have to be recorded for warranty purposes but I don't think there is any warranty on the material in the USA - I could be wrong).

Chaz

HecklnDecalr

I have recently installed 3m security film on a customers window . Removing the frame for the windows just wasn't possible (or at least it wasn't for us) so we used the 3M BP700 impact protection profile. Its a rubber gasket to secure the window film to the frame. Does anyone have experience with this product and the associated tools? The IPP tool that is supposed to cut the mitered edges didn't seem to work very well for me. it cut the edges kinda twisted and the angles didn't seem to completely line up. I would have thought it would just be 45 degrees. Any input into this would be appreciated. Or any experiences on security film installation would be welcomed. Thanks for your time!