• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sandblasting ada signs

Robert Wilcox

My company does a lot of work with ADA signs. I think it would be a good idea to start making them ourselves.
It seems sandblasting is more durable than 3d print/appliqué and looks better than photopolymer.

Does anyone have experience with sandblasting ada Braille signs? I’m interested in seeing the process of how it’s done.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Long-time sandblaster, monument builder here....

The only substrates suitable for sandblasting will be either glass, or stone such as marble or granite . There are no other thin substrates that will engrave to the depth you require. Plastics are ductile and will not produce more than a slight surface etch. The substrate must be friable (able to be fractured) in order to use sandblasting effectively. This is why soft rubber and vinyl stencil is so favorable for masking off signs and stone monuments.

In the 2021 Matthews Architectural Products catalog, they have some samples of glass ADA signage with braille on page 80. They do some very cool things that anybody else could do if they have the knowledge of using photo-resist and the sandcarving process. The domed braille dots are integral to the single piece of glass. This is accomplished by etching the area around the dots to near-depth, then removing the mask to round off the top edges by further sandcarving. I did a sample piece of braille on glass a few years ago, and it really does work. Fine abrasive produces a satin finish, while coarser abrasive produces a rougher texture.

Check out Rayzist or Ikonics for sandcarving systems and photo-resist. Both offer complete process systems and training. Personally, I favor Ikonics due to their extensive product lineup of materials and equipment.

I've posted the attached photos before, and they have nothing to do with the subject at hand. But they're are an example of how sandcarving can be used to create a fine reverse etch (raised image).

These were done using sign vinyl for sand mask. And while sign vinyl might work well for your lettering, you're going to have a difficult time keeping the braille dots from moving while weeding the vinyl.

JB

Spider 1 (J) 4-12-2020.jpg

Spider 2 (J) 4-12-2020.jpg

Spider 4 (J) 4-12-2020.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2B

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Does Corian work well for blasting? I know it machines really well, and we have fabbed some ada with it as a background, added raised plastic and drilled for braille beads. I'd be curious if that could be painted then blasted to give a uniform color raised copy without trying to get paint to hit the surface and not the edges.
I've never tried it, and I would have said no. But here's something interesting I found:

Johnny Best

I think Braille dots have to have a roundness to the tops. Sandblasting would give you a flat top with a edge that would be a sharp drop off the edge, Braille dots have the soft edge to them.