• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SC40600 Media Profiles

Reaction GFX

So I just had a new S40600 delivered and set up. Pretty excited to start using it. I'm using the GammaPrint Pro RIP that came with it (I was previously using Onyx x10 with a GS6000, so this is definitely going to take some getting used to). Where is anyone getting profiles for this machine/RIP? Are they ONLY available through the Epson Edge Dashboard? I print quite a bit of perforated window film and I'm not seeing ANY profiles for perf in the list of profiles available to download through the Epson Edge Dashboard. I also use primarily Arlon adhesive vinyls, and of course, there are no Arlon profiles available. I know I can probably get away with using 3M profiles to print on vinyl, but I really need to figure out what to use for the window perf. Also need a profile for white static cling.

Hmmmm...did I just make a giant mistake buying this machine? There just aren't any profiles for the medias I use most...kind of discouraging. Seems like my only option is to waste time trying random profiles to see what works. Not really happy about that.

After a little research, it seems the GammaPrint Pro is likely the issue since, correct me if I'm wrong, it uses proprietary profiles. Ugh. I really can't afford to upgrade my x10 to Onyx 18 (since x10 doesn't support this printer), was really hoping this RIP would suffice...

Last edited:

jfiscus

Rap Master
Use the standard media profile you use for wrap films for the perf. We made our own couple of profiles and just use those for everything.

unclebun

You don't need a different profile for perf media. Just set up a separate media type in the printer for it to account for the thickness if you get head strikes. We use the same profile in the RIP that we do for the rest of the wrap.

Reaction GFX

I understand that profiles are often just a matter of "use what works," but that means I have to waste time randomly testing the profiles available to see what actually works on any given media.

In the UK they supply Onyx with it....

I can't believe they are shipping a full version of ONYX with these printers in the UK. Are you aware how much a full version costs? My printer came with ONYX Gammprint Pro, which is Epson's branded and extremely scaled down version of ONYX Rip Queue. It appears to use proprietary profile files (.emx), that are only available through Epson. If I was running a full version of ONYX 18, there are tons of profiles available for this machine. I just can't afford the $2000+ to upgrade my ONYX x10 to version 18 at the moment. I'm a one-man shop and I just dropped $11k on a new printer!

CanuckSigns

I understand that profiles are often just a matter of "use what works," but that means I have to waste time randomly testing the profiles available to see what actually works on any given media.

I can't believe they are shipping a full version of ONYX with these printers in the UK. Are you aware how much a full version costs? My printer came with ONYX Gammprint Pro, which is Epson's branded and extremely scaled down version of ONYX Rip Queue. It appears to use proprietary profile files (.emx), that are only available through Epson. If I was running a full version of ONYX 18, there are tons of profiles available for this machine. I just can't afford the $2000+ to upgrade my ONYX x10 to version 18 at the moment. I'm a one-man shop and I just dropped $11k on a new printer!

We use 3M IJ35 profile from the epson dashboard for 99% of our vinyl and perf, we do adjust the profile for each media to get the feed correction correct.

Reaction GFX

We use 3M IJ35 profile from the epson dashboard for 99% of our vinyl and perf, we do adjust the profile for each media to get the feed correction correct.

Funny you should say that as everything I've printed thus far on vinyl or perf has been using the IJ35 profile with acceptable results. Is there a way to adjust the available profiles and save/rename them? I'm still getting used to this new software...it's gonna take a little bit.

CanuckSigns

Funny you should say that as everything I've printed thus far on vinyl or perf has been using the IJ35 profile with acceptable results. Is there a way to adjust the available profiles and save/rename them? I'm still getting used to this new software...it's gonna take a little bit.

We use the epson dashboard to load a copy of the IJ35 profile onto the printer, once its on there you can rename it on the printer itself and have the machine perform it's automatic feed adjustment, which will save to the onboard profile.

IV

Great point dtsimages! We do the same as suggestion by our machine installer.....it covers just about any of our vinyls. We have some that may need the temps adjusted down (due to the heat being too high on the preheat, print and post print heater zones), but we simply manually adjust these for those vinyls at the printer.

Reaction GFX

I guess I spoke too soon. I've only printed a few jobs on this thing so far, but I'm really struggling to print a simple two color logo right now on my calendared Arlon vinyl (4500GLX). I tried using the IJ35 profile, but the colors (maroon and navy blue) look very mottled (splotchy looking, not a nice, solid color), particularly the maroon, navy is passable but not perfect. I tried a few different print modes, but they all look the same as far as the mottling is concerned. Tried changing to IJ-180 profile, same results. In my experience, mottled solid colors means there is too much ink going down, no? Pre and platen heat too high? Any input is appreciated.

What print modes are you guys commonly using for decent results on vinyl and/or perf?

Reaction GFX

So I figured out that I don't HAVE to use the Epson Dashboard...I was able to disable it, so now I'm just manually managing my medias. I never used the on-machine media managing with my GS6000, so why start now? It always just seemed like a lot of unnecessary back and forth between the machine and the RIP. If anyone can tell me why I absolutely SHOULD use the Epson Dashboard, I'm all ears. You can actually load any Onyx 18 (or lower) profiles right through the configure printer menu in the RIP, and Media Manager IS actually included with GamaPrint, it just doesn't install a shortcut to it in the RIP, you have to manually find it in the ONYX folder. This is great news, as far as I'm concerned. I've now loaded the profiles for the Arlon medias I commonly use, still need to get a few others loaded in there. Sure, I could just use the IJ35 profile for nearly everything and it may produce acceptable results, but I just wasn't super happy with the quality and I do think the quality is slightly improved using the actual Arlon profiles.