• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

scissors

Flubber

What is the best pair of scissors you have found for this line of work? I'm tired of buying the cheap ones bc within a week they are trashed.

Letterbox Mike

I've got a pair of scissors I bought at a fabric store, the blades are about 8" long and they're teflon coated. Cost about $35 or so so they were stupid expensive but they cut like a dream and we've been using them for about 5 years now. I'll see if the name of the mfr is still on them, it may have worn off by now.

Don't buy scissors that have a serrated blade, I made that mistake, you can't slide them through paper easily, it bunches up. The cutters that look like a pizza wheel work great too for slicing up decals, way better than a knife or traditional scissors. They're also worth every penny.

I almost always keep a pair of scissors in one of the pockets of my work pants. First it was a back pocket of my shorts. Then the front right pocket. Now that I've gone to cargo pants/shorts, it's the cargo pocket on the right side. Coincidentally, all of those old shorts have holes in them somewhere. I don't get holes anymore, but I've come close to stabbing myself a few times when I sit down in my truck.

Service Sign Co

Tupperware sells a t-chef series. they work great, they separate into 2 pieces for easy cleaning and have a screw driver/ paint can opener on the back side.
$50 bucks but well worth it

I prefer the Fiskars 9911 scissors, but they changed the design a little bit a few years ago and now the locking mechanism is constantly pissing me off...

Complaints asisde, I still use them... Buy a little scissor sharpener as well and they will last almost forever...

rfulford

Friskars have worked well for me in the past. I get the big ones that fit my hand well. Just try to minimize the whole sliding the scissors through material with the blades locked in place thing. That will dull or even notch them. I once notched a pair of scissors by cutting 160' of vinyl with the scissors in the same position. It is better to slowly open and close the scissors as you slide along.

I've tried a bunch of different scissors. The best pair I've found by far for around the shop I get from grainger. Here's a link

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5LZ64?Pid=search

They are pricey but they cut through banner and mesh like it was nothing. They are fairly easy to sharpen yourself if the edge starts getting dull.

I prefer the offset handle and the 10.25 blade. The offset handle keeps the material closer to the table which I think helps with more accurate cuts. The extra length of the blade helps keeps the cuts true.