• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Scitex FB700 having issues. PLEASE HELP!

Every time I go to print anything the printer will act like it is going to print and then stop. I get a DMA Failure/Error. Every so often I may even get a Swath Error.
It may print like 2 or 3 passes and then stop and Error out or sometimes it doesn't print anything and it just moves the head over and then Errors out.
I have cleaned the encoder strip. Lubed the carriage rails. Checked all cable connections on the carriage itself as well as behind the screen area.

Please Help! I have jobs that I really need to get out and this has been a major headache.....

FrankW

The exact error code would be interesting. A DMA-Error is an internal communication error, for example between mainboard and head board.

Here is an image of both the DMA and Swatch Errors I have gotten.

Attachments

• Attach4920_20220302_114203.jpg
    Attach4920_20220302_114203.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 20220317_140145.jpg
    20220317_140145.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 163

greysquirrel

I would power printer if. Unplug 220. The unseat and plug in purple lives cable 8-10 times at both ends then power back up. Sometimes a film can grow in the plug and needs to be cleaned out…it could isolate issue further if it’s communication

Turnergraphics

I've had to replace the carriage drive motor a couple of times. The brushes wear down every 3 or 4 years. I know some techs in the southeast

dasigndr

Premium Subscriber
I've had to replace the carriage drive motor a couple of times. The brushes wear down every 3 or 4 years. I know some techs in the southeast
Yes. I had a similar issue and we had to remove the brushes from the carriage motor and blow it out with a compressor. Quite a bit of dust/dirt cam out. tech said if motor is this dirty it will give false readings on the encoder.

FrankW

E-IO-40 is an encoder error. Check the linear encoder for dirt oder damage. If anything is ok with the encoder, it could be the cabling to the I/O-board or the board itself.

E-IO-110 regards to faulty data from the encoder too. Suggestions are - in addition to clean the encoder - replacing the encoder reader, headboard, I/O board.

At first I would really check if the encoder is ok or not.

I have looked at the encoder strip. I have cleaned it a few times previously as well. It looks like it is ok. No damage or dirt or anything on it.
I have also unplugged everything already. The printer itself as well as removed and reseated the purple cable more than once.

FrankW

Check the encoder with light. there are little lines printed on it in a high frequence: perhaps to much "cleaning" can rub that lines from the plastic.

This is the only spot I see on the encoder strip and it isn't very large. There are no bends or tears in it at all.

Attachments

• 20220318_091725.jpg
    20220318_091725.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Yes. I had a similar issue and we had to remove the brushes from the carriage motor and blow it out with a compressor. Quite a bit of dust/dirt cam out. tech said if motor is this dirty it will give false readings on the encoder.
How exactly do you remove the brushes from the motor. I am not sure where that is located to try to check this area out.

Turnergraphics

I'd call a tech or at least phone support to see if the computer boards are ok. But outside of that, my approach is start replacing parts in this order. Encoder strip, grit pulley, encoder reader, carriage drive motor. And I've replaced my carriage belt once.

Boejoe77

I am a tech and 9times out of 10 it is a damage encoder strip or dirty encoder sensor this is the first two things that needs to be done. If you start with motors and boards it will be very expensive and you will be very desappointed.