• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scorpion illustration (cartoonish)

Browner

Anyone seen this image in any collections? I've exhausted everything/where I know. TIA

Attachments

• scorpion.jpg
    scorpion.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 963

WildWestDesigns

but it looks like it might be a stock illustration from somewhere. If I can purchase a file for $10 to $15 it'd be worth it.

Depending on how long it took you to find said illustration, assuming that it is still available, some clip art every now and again is "retired". Not to say someone couldn't pop up and say it's in X collection being sold by Y.

While I wouldn't personally redraw it exactly, but offer to draw something along the same lines.

Old Timer

Adobe Stock. you will have to sign up for a subscription. I think you can buy a single image but not sure. I know shutterstock will let you buy 2 vector files for $29.00 just be sure to click off auto renew

kcollinsdesign

Old member
a quick run through Vector Magic and about 15 minutes of clean up and you will be good to go.
...as long as you have the rights to use the original image. Derivative works are under the protection of the original creator's copyright. You will need the creators permission, usually obtained by paying a license fee (like from a stock company).

Christian @ 2CT Media

...as long as you have the rights to use the original image. Derivative works are under the protection of the original creator's copyright. You will need the creators permission, usually obtained by paying a license fee (like from a stock company).
This is what bothers me about the digital age of copyright, if a client has an image in their marketing for years and moves on to a new print vendor. Said vendor does a reasonable attempt to search for licensing rights and documents it, like searching all major stock sites, but comes up with nothing. If they redraw it, is it violating copyright if there is no record of who owns the copyright?... Seems like predatory shadow legality.

WildWestDesigns

This is what bothers me about the digital age of copyright, if a client has an image in their marketing for years and moves on to a new print vendor. Said vendor does a reasonable attempt to search for licensing rights and documents it, like searching all major stock sites, but comes up with nothing. If they redraw it, is it violating copyright if there is no record of who owns the copyright?... Seems like predatory shadow legality.

Really, art that has survived years of marketing, the customer should have a license (if not own) to be able to use that for their marketing. Of course, maybe their previous vendor had license to use whatever art that was used in that previous marketing.

By this:
...is it violating copyright if there is no record of who owns the copyright?...

Are you talking about if it's registered? Copyright is actually automatic, however, it is easier for the owner of said copyright to prove if they have gone through extra hurdles. Someone has the rights to it already given it's mere existence in this form. Now is possible that this version in question could have violated someone else's copyright of an earlier drawing, but either way, it already exists.

Ironically, it's this digital age of copyright that has in part led to this issue in question in my mind.

It is a jumbled up mess and to me, it's just easier to just do something original (if one is able to).