• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scrap, Part Out, Fix or Sell? UJF-6042 (MK1)

Smoke_Jaguar

Been idly messing with a MK1 UJF and thinking it's time to find it a new use. Thing was left on a top shelf in a warehouse for a couple of years before it came to me. Has a bad head, slider board printhead connector clips are all rotted, head plate has a broken screw, one head is trashed. Never got too far in it. Just tossed basic things like dampers and the like at it. Probably has 3 good heads and lots of decent parts, but not sure if I have much use of it (we have 2 UJF-6042MKIIs already as well as the Frankenstein's monster that will become the 3DUJ-6042MK??). The Gen4 heads are crazy easy to flush, but not sure that I will even have work for the printer. Direct print stuff is cool and all, but work tends to mostly be boring roll media. The head carriage base is a part that I can get, as well as the head, slider board (a tap of hot glue keeps head boards in securely enough to run) and all that, but it's definitely 50/50 between dismantle and fix. Not sure the aftermarket on these things, so might not be worthwhile. If I could somehow get Mimaki's customer lists for people who bought UJF's to print phone cases, I could probably buy dozens of them for pennies on the dollar after they went bankrupt.

Jburns

3DUJ-6042MK?? Wow I wasn't aware of this? to be released? I also saw your post with machines for sale.
They have the 553 and the 2207 in the 3DUJ format - I am looking to possibly purchase.

Smoke_Jaguar

The 3DUJ-2207 is just a modified UJF-3042 MKII EX, so using parameters, hacked firmware, modified build plate and adding a second UV unit for bi-directional printing, I am attempting to make a UJF-6042 MKII into a much bigger version of the 2207, totally NOT an official model. Since Mimaki printers are pretty modular, can do some incredibly fun things with them if you're willing to risk messing with parameters and the like. Done things like make UCJV150s into UCJV300s by adding extra heads and migrating narrower width printers to wider frames. If you get a smoking deal on broken XXXX-160 series printer and your XXXX-107's looking a bit small, a few ribbon cables, new ink lines and some parameter adjustments can lead to a cheap upgrade.

The downside of the 3DUJ stuff is just how locked down the firmware and 3D RIP software is. Hardware dongles are stupid easy to crack, but getting copies in the first place is tricky. Been playing with other methods for slicing, but hard to do for full color.

Anyone happen to have service manuals for the 2207 kicking around perchance? ;)