• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screen printing positives through Flexi

Jen Goodwin

Is anyone using Flexi to print positives to the Edge? I have a few issues that I e-mailed Scanvec about and nobody has gotten back to me.

One being....when I am printing a gradient halftone along with something solid, regardless of it all being printed jet black...it prints the gradients separately!?!? I wouldn't care, but it seems to put a 'glowline' around the solid objects where they should just butt against the gradient. A little outline that is NOT in the design.
It'll print a solid halftone all in one shot, with no little outlines, but add a gradient and it considers it something separate.
What gives? Am I missing some setting in the rip or is this just the way Flexi handles the gradients?

I love that Flexi will give me angles on my halftones...I seriously wish Gerber would add that to Omega!! It would be great for screen printers.

screener24242

how are you ripping the halftones? flexi is not ideal for this application. try illy, corel or photoshop. how are you creating your seperations?

Jen Goodwin

Ripping through Flexi's Rip and Print. Flexi 8 does a fairly nice job at regular halftones. I can set my angles to make sure I don't get moires on the screen and it's been working well...until I get to a one color with gradients. Then I run into the issue I mentioned. I have all those other programs....but I love edge positive, I love how dark the Edge prints my positives and lets face it, I pay enough for my Edge that it's nice to multi-task it. :) Plus, I already have most of my screen printing customers stuff set up in Flexi for their sign work - so it's easy just to stay in Flexi if I can get it to work. I have only recently started playing around with printing to the edge through Flexi.
I separate manually in Flexi for spot color printing and Flexi's rip will even separate 4c process nicely if using a jpeg. I already printed a job that way.
Hmmmm. That's interesting. Maybe if I try printing this one color job as a jpeg, rather than in vector form I won't get the outline and it will print all as one rather than printing the gradient and going back and printing the solid.
I'll have to give that a go later.