• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screw you 3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheapVehicleWrap

Good post ballpark,

I was talking to a guy last night, and we figured the only way this is going to truly work for 3M, is if they get out of the "Custom Graphics" Market.

they can keep doing store stocked stripes, but it will never work out if they're going to be offering custom graphics.

it's simple.

Funny... I had a similar conversation with a pre-schooler and we came to the same conclusion.

CheapVehicleWrap

I just recieved a request to join the 3M support group from 3m themselves but then it must have neen taken back.. Just so everyone is clear; the group welcomes any and all suffering from the disease known as 3M.

splizaat

Ill chime in one more time on this. I work for myself as a sign shop (not wraps) and a graphic designer at another company -- who had a wrap done by OW earlier this year. I spent a lot of time on the phone with our OW sales guy/rep who DID tell me (as a customer needing a wrap, not a sign shop) that 3M prints the graphics then ships the prints to a certified installer of my choice (if I had a shop I use regularly, they'd let me make that suggestion)....I too, was told as a customer that 3M prints the wraps themselves....just thought I would toss that in.

I will also point out that I am completely unbiased in this thread - mainly because I have nothing to lose or gain by posting. We don't print, nor have we ever used 3M film. We use only Oracal and have amazing experiences with it over the last 7 or 8 years

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Big 3751 wrap.... stuff does apply VERY nice. Did not want to go go down over rivets quite as well but not anything terrible. Just need to get used to it.

Attachments

• ut1.jpg
    ut1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 94
  • ut2.jpg
    ut2.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 97

ForgeInc

I am not super biased either...but if one REALLY wanted to make a statement and inform other shops about this issue, get it some momentum...SGIA would be a perfect place to do it. All it wold take would be a few folks wearing tee shirts, some well placed flyers, and perhaps a few informed, well placed, human "sign spinners".

just sayin'.

HulkSmash

Big 3751 wrap.... stuff does apply VERY nice. Did not want to go go down over rivets quite as well but not anything terrible. Just need to get used to it.

really? It worked on rivets with us. This stuff requires a lot of post heat compared to 3m. but it installs so sexy

J

john1

My fresh rolls of gloss Oracal print better then the matte IJ35C *sticks tongue out*

CheapVehicleWrap

Ill chime in one more time on this. I work for myself as a sign shop (not wraps) and a graphic designer at another company -- who had a wrap done by OW earlier this year. I spent a lot of time on the phone with our OW sales guy/rep who DID tell me (as a customer needing a wrap, not a sign shop) that 3M prints the graphics then ships the prints to a certified installer of my choice (if I had a shop I use regularly, they'd let me make that suggestion)....I too, was told as a customer that 3M prints the wraps themselves....just thought I would toss that in.

I will also point out that I am completely unbiased in this thread - mainly because I have nothing to lose or gain by posting. We don't print, nor have we ever used 3M film. We use only Oracal and have amazing experiences with it over the last 7 or 8 years

Ah ha!

mopar691

So what happens when vehicle wraps is not enough for 3M? Since they plan to see such huge profit in the wrap industry how long do you think it will be till they start Original Signs?

They have printers and a endless supply of material.

If they profit and grow in one aspect of this industry who honestly believes they will not branch out into more?

Greed only breeds more greed correct?

HulkSmash

So what happens when vehicle wraps is not enough for 3M? Since they plan to see such huge profit in the wrap industry how long do you think it will be till they start Original Signs?

If they profit and grow in one aspect of this industry who honestly believes they will not branch out into more?

I wouldn't be surprised.

splizaat

...I should have also mentioned the ONLY reason we used OW on that vehicle for the wrap was because it was a brand new vehicle that had ~$1500 amount towards credit on a wrap when you bought it through this OEM. Otherwise, I would have suggested to the boss that we somewhere else -- like me contracting it through MY shop :).

But, when OEM is offering a customer $1500 (or whatever it was) towards a wrap on a commercial vehicle, why would the customer EVER go anywhere else for it? And knowing the back-side of OW now (via this thread), OW is kinda lame...I remember pricing a 75% wrap on a Nissan NV3500. We had something like $1500 credit from the OEM, and OW still wanted another ~$2950...that's one spendy 3/4 wrap...so who made all the money if the installer only made a couple hundred?

HulkSmash

...I should have also mentioned the ONLY reason we used OW on that vehicle for the wrap was because it was a brand new vehicle that had ~$1500 amount towards credit on a wrap when you bought it through this OEM. Otherwise, I would have suggested to the boss that we somewhere else -- like me contracting it through MY shop :).

But, when OEM is offering a customer $1500 (or whatever it was) towards a wrap on a commercial vehicle, why would the customer EVER go anywhere else for it? And knowing the back-side of OW now (via this thread), OW is kinda lame...I remember pricing a 75% wrap on a Nissan NV3500. We had something like $1500 credit from the OEM, and OW still wanted another ~$2950...that's one spendy 3/4 wrap...so who made all the money if the installer only made a couple hundred?

I was told by 3M themselves that they can get up to 12$ a SF.

well good for them. The installer only gets 1 of that.

splizaat

I found an older email from our OW Rep (who was SUPER friendly and helpful..no complaints there - he was actually very good to work with. The OW experience was good from the customer side of things!) that I came across, but I won't post it...One of you freaks might end up going postal. I gotta be able to sleep at night lol

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Although the only thing I have ever wrapped is a present, I agree that it is a mistake on the part of 3M to compete with the very same people that they are selling their material to.
I agree with Ballpark's assessment of what 3M should do.
I wonder if they are listening.

genericname

Exactly what I was thinking. When I was talking with one of our suppliers about all the hell that OW is getting, they deflected by talking up their certification program for sign vinyl. Just a matter of time until only "certified" vinyl installers get paltry coin and no contacts, while 3M gets commercial and government contracts alike in the basic sign industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.