• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Screwing or Attaching Aluminum Composite to Trailers

Jyro Signs LLC

HI,
What are yall's opinions or tips on screwing or attaching 3mm or 6mm ALC to the tube framing on enclosed trailers from the outside... I was gonna do contour-cut lettering and logos but the trailer exterior is very bad and will make a decal/wrap fail.
Can I just get them to screw the sign to the framing with some self-tappers and call it a day? Or maybe some heavy-duty VHB foam tape??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't personally like the idea of using any ACM on the side of a vehicle. 080 or .125 aluminum with #14 self tappers and make sure they hit the tubing would be the way that I would do it.

2B

HI,
What are yall's opinions or tips on screwing or attaching 3mm or 6mm ALC to the tube framing on enclosed trailers from the outside... I was gonna do contour-cut lettering and logos but the trailer exterior is very bad and will make a decal/wrap fail.
Can I just get them to screw the sign to the framing with some self-tappers and call it a day? Or maybe some heavy-duty VHB foam tape??

If the vinyl is going to fail because of the bad surface, why would VHB be any better?

.040 aluminum is probably a better option than ACM, just like an enclosed trailer go screw / rivet happy and attach with equal quantity to the factory amount
just make sure the leading edge is good and sealed so the wind can't get under, ripping them off and causing a total SH!T FEST

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't do it. For all the reasons they said, plus we had a customer a few years back ask for this same scenario. They had 3 trailers and 5 outta 6 panels went flying. We used oversized pop rivets and some hefty screws and on their second trip down the road, they flew right off. Once you get much over 25 mph, you're done. They insisted on doing the same thing a second time. I refused, so they went elsewhere. If they aren't welded on....... RUN.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If the vinyl is going to fail because of the bad surface, why would VHB be any better?

.040 aluminum is probably a better option than ACM, just like an enclosed trailer go screw / rivet happy and attach with equal quantity to the factory amount
just make sure the leading edge is good and sealed so the wind can't get under, ripping them off and causing a total SH!T FEST
I have seen a lot of 040 rip just the same as ACM. Usually those trailer skins laps have butyl under them so I suppose it could work but not with silicone or lexel. The skins also don't have any edge exposed on the front side and you wouldn't have an old beat up trailer if you had the skills to back it up at 80 mph. You'd be working for the circus and be friends with Elon Musk. I'd still say 080 at minimum.