• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Seiko 64s print issues

OBon

After doing a large run (350'+) of bright red prints all weekend long on our seiko 64s we just needed to finish one last print to complete the order. The machine had been sitting overnight and we did the regular cleaning and maintenance, and fired off the print. It started beautifully, printing a rich vibrant red, however about 6"-1' into the print the magenta print head crapped out. Running a cleaning cycle would fix it for the next foot or so then it would go out again. Printing the nozzle test showed that it was only the right side of the print head that wasn't firing properly. On close inspection is appears that the nozzles are spraying erratically if at all. Attached are some pics of the issue. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening and how we might go about resolving the issue?

Attachments

• print head_sm.jpg
    print head_sm.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 112
  • print head_close.jpg
    print head_close.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 110

d fleming

Do a clean and then print nozzle test immediately after. If it is fine then you may have to replace dampers and o rings. Just did it to mine.

OBon

Yeah, immediately after cleaning the nozzle test comes out perfect, but then shortly after beginning a print (6"-12") the right side of the magenta head dies again. I have a service manual and can't seem to find how to change the dampers and o-rings (or even exactly where they are). Is this a fairly easy procedure or should I just call a tech?

tbaker

it requires removing the head controller board. This is at a point where I'd never recommend a client doing it themselves, the amount of damage you "could" do far outweighs the cost of the tech coming out to fix it.

d fleming

It's not that tough.A tech is 750.00 at the door with a two hour minimum @ 175.00 per hour for installing 50.00 worth of parts. I did my own and am about to do the other 5 just to be safe. After saying that, I am a mechanically inclined person, if you're not, a tech may be the right way to go. I would do them all if I had a tech coming just to get my moneys' worth. Might as well do the wiper station and caps too.