• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Self Adhesive Vinyl for Latex Contour Cutting

Hotspur

Hi

Having had a number of users complain of poor cutting accuracy with Latex the resolution nearly always seems to be correct media selection.

Assuming the cutter is calibrated and the printer has a good profile with minimal heat, swapping between vinyls has a huge effect on contour cutting accuracy.

To this end I thought it would be a good idea to get some feedback from you guys on what really works well with Latex and a contour cutter?

I know really cheap mono SAV will be much worse than IJ180 but the problem seems to be the middle ground where similarly-priced products can have a surprising level of variation.

I'm looking for a good calendered vinyl that cuts accurately - your suggestions?

I'll start it off with Orajet 3651 as a dependable middle-of-the-road vinyl that doesn't misbehave under the Latex according to a number of users (I don't sell it!) - do you agree?

Just be good to get a database of mid-range vinyls that cut accurately with Latex for future reference.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dennis422

I guess I will help a Spurs fan!

Yes, Orafol 3651 works well with Latex printers when the vinyl needs to be contour cut.
I use it for cheaper stuff. Better cast vinyl I use is Avery 1005 RS EZ.
No issues whatsoever when cutting them. I just run my heat as low as possible to get a good cure on my L25500.

At the beginning, I had issues with the cutter (Graphtec FC8600-130) until I got updated to the latest firmware (At that time) and after I reset it after the firmware upgrade.
Since then, no issues with printer or a cutter (Of course, I'm not changing anything or updating new firmware until I have any issues)

FrankW

Which cutter do you use? And which software?

If you use a Summa S-Class or SummaCUT-R-Model, you could set RIP (if it supports it) and Cutter to OPOS XY which will compensate some effects of vinyl deformation. If possible with your RIP, you could set the number of markers to a higher amount too.

On the other hand, latex printers have a possibility to compensate the so named "smiley"- or "bowing"-effect which will lead to better results if contour cutting with conventional cutting plotters. Depending on the latex model you use, I could check how to set it.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
I prefer to use media from Substance Inc. They are based out of North Carolina, but only sell direct. Their focus is high end calendared films. The backing paper they use is very thick, which helps minimize the distortion. I have had VERY good luck with all of their medias. HIGHLY recommend!!

http://www.substanceincorporated.com/category/digital-media#

Always looking for a good vinyl supplier.
Ordered 2 rolls, we'll see how fedex treats them.

I like the free shipping.