• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Semi Trailer Wrap (media stretch)

skassociates

Good Morning,
We're doing our first big wrap on a 42' semi trailer (Hoosier Tires), and the issues we're running into is the media seems to be getting stretched out by the time we get to the bottom of the trailer. This print has a lot of words that has to line up, as as you imagine, it's a nightmare.

My my prints are 50" wide X 12', were using Avery Media. Outside temp ranges from 65-74, a high humidity.

We're locking in the top, then the typical separate paper and squeegee left to right over the rivets and work our way down.

Thanks

skassociates

We're only using the heat on the rivets after we lay over them, and the ocassional use on the side if we get out of wack. Is the weight of the media itself causing it to stretch a little? Meaning, if we have it hanging the length of the trailer while we lay the top?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yes its the weight of the media as well as the fact that you are pulling it somewhat taut as you make your way down each panel. Just have to be somewhat consistent on the install and they should all stretch around the same amount. If there is tons of details and text though then often times pre-masking is going to be necessary on big tall panels like this.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Yep, consistency in the process is the key.

Once I get a panel locked in, I will usually pull off 3 or 4 feet of liner and then register it with the previous one. That way you have that 3 or 4 feet to gain or lose and 1/8". One other thing to remember is that the more you tweak a panel for alignment, the harder the next panel will be. If things start to get out of hand remember you have the 1" overlap that you can trim to make one panel line up with the other panel and if you luck sometimes you can trim the last bit of a letter and there is no alignment.

Looks like you are installing on a race trailer. A typical trailer panel is about 100" tall and depending on the temperature it will stretch a 1/4" to 1/2" per panel.

Make sure your not doing this in the sun, work on the shady side outdoors. The darker colors of the prints will stretch more and your graphics will tend to pre-tack.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Don't do it in direct sun.
Leave backer on longer.
If removing a lot of the backer, do it the same for each panel.
Don't start on one end then go to the other end.
MASTER the "Triangles" technique.
Transfer taping SUCKS. Especially when there are rivets. More work, more materials, more time...no thanks.

2B

Don't do it in direct sun.
Leave backer on longer.
If removing a lot of the backer, do it the same for each panel.
Don't start on one end then go to the other end.
MASTER the "Triangles" technique.
Transfer taping SUCKS. Especially when there are rivets. More work, more materials, more time...no thanks.

:goodpost:

Nuagedesigns

https://vimeo.com/48215906

Here's a video we made a few years back on a project we did for GoodWill. It shows how we use a cardboard tube to help with stretch. This was obviously nice and smooth after we attached ACM but we use this method with riveted trailers as well and works great. It eliminates almost all stretch and keeps the panels straight.

johnnysigns

Maybe I missed it but are you tacking the bottoms in place when you work your way down? It's all been touched on about the stretch you can get when pulling liner on a large suspended sheet. Triangles and using the performance in the media should make even stretched alignment just a nuisance and not a chore.

boxerbay

a few good tips already here.

dont do it in the sun. if possible.
dont pull off a lot of backer.
NO premask. that stuff just gets in the way and you cant see if you have bubbles.

***golden tip***
on your first panel install pull down hard using a heavy hand to get it to stretch. so your first panel is prestretched and then the next panels you just pull lightly into place as needed. you can stretch a panel but you cant shrink one. so if your first one is stretched the rest go easy to match.

We figured this out when we first started wrapping and did a lot of outdoor installs in the sun. when we started in the AM it was cool. by noon in the hot sun the panels began to get longer. we ate a few panels but we learned.

TXFB.INS

as the others have stated.avoid the sun.

if you are unable to move / preposition the trailer then create your own shade.

we have poles that extend above our scaffolding and we run a tarp from the top of the trailer to these poles
it also keeps you from getting as burnt while installing

kalvix

Hey Newagedesigns,

how did you attach the Max Metal Panels onto the Donation trailer? Did you screw them down or tape them down? They didn't look like they were in a track.