• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Serrated cut lines?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I am experiencing fine serrated cut lines even on simple shapes. Gerber HS15plus.
I tried a couple new blades and it is still happening.
Anyone experience this before?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Sounds like the theta belt that turns the toolhead has lost some of its teeth and then, as a result the home position for the blade has also shifted. The blade then is constantly at the wrong position for a tangential cutter to provide a clean cut.

The solution is to replace the belt and reset the home position of the blade. It's a fairly common repair for Gerber tangential plotters.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I opened the top of the tool carriage and the belt looks fine. All the teeth are there and don't appear to be worn.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Turn the plotter off and back on and check the position of the blade after it does its homing routine. It should be in position to cut a horizontal line on the X-axis. If it's well homed, then look for excessive slop in the gear belt, a chipped blade, a loose blade, or a blade not fully seated in the tool holder. It is also possible to install a blade backwards in which case the tip would not be in the center.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Possibly the tool holder?
The blades are definitely seated correctly. I have a blade in it now that is working a little better for some odd reason.
All the blades I tried were new Gerber blades.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Rotate the black shaft on the feed in side of the plotter that lifts and lowers the tool head to check for unobstructed contact when down and adequate clearance when up. When down look for about 1/10th" clearance between the lifting fork and the contact point with the tool holder. When up look for 1/10" or so between the blade point and the X-axis drum.

Do you have a teflon theta washer on the tool holder? When was the last time you lubed the throwout bearing inside the toolhead? It should get one drop of oil every six months.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Besides changing the blades, The first thing I did was clean all the rails, sprockets, etc. I lubed everything with a light lubricating spray including the tool head. "Not wd40"
The Teflon washer is on the tool holder.
The only thing I didn't try was a drop of oil instead of the lighter spray lubricant.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Did you check the position when first turned on? The blade should home to that you can lower the blade and slew to the left and get a clean cut from an x-axis move. Try in with a piece of vinyl.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
The blade is always up until a file is sent to the plotter. I don't think it's possible to lower the blade manually and slew the material on a HS15plus.
Is this possible w/ the Envision?
The blade appears to sit dead on straight the same direction as the sprockets.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yes that's as it should be. There is a black bar on the feed in side of the plotter that rotates to physically lower or lift the toolholder in the toolhead.

That the blade appears parallel to the sprockets is correct. If turn off the plotter while in that position and lower the blade by rotating the black bar you can then manually move the x-axis drum towards the feed out side with some vinyl in the plotter. You can then inspect the cut. If it is free of serrations then the problem most likely is not related to the initial homing of the plotter when you turn it on.

By eliminating this you narrow it down to 1) a malfunction that is happening most likely in the theta rotation of the toolholder, 2) the condition of the blade or 3) a bind somewhere in the mechanism ... usually from dirt & debris and/or a lack of lubrication.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I figured rotation would be locked with the power off.
I'll give it a try Monday morning.
Thanks for the feedback.