• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Server

Tovis

Anybody in here have a server where they currently run FTP and Hosting in house?

I'm thinking about installing Fedora 15. What do you all run? I assume either Red Hat or a Windows Server.

qmr55

Fedora is basically Red Hat. I run Fedora on my laptop with a dual boot of that and Win 7. I don't use it as a server though.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Have you been happy with it? Did you set it up?

As much as one can be happy with any OS. We use a contractor to manage our server. I just tell them what I need and they do it. They've told me they have no preference so long as i get cPanel added to the software. I mess around in cPanel and phpMyAdmin some and am scared to death to do anything at the root level. As a result I really can't say much more than to get WHM and cPanel with whatever you do.

Tovis

Fedora is basically Red Hat. I run Fedora on my laptop with a dual boot of that and Win 7. I don't use it as a server though.

What version do you run? Do you like it? Is it pretty much an unsupported version of redhat?

njshorts

We use a Debian 6 box in house, rsync'ed to a CentOS 5.5 box in the datacenter, both pieces of equipment i own and manage.

FYI:
CentOS is a free re-package of Red Hat. Stable, secure, great- I use it for a lot of servers. Red Hat's cost isn't really worth it, and Fedora is Red Hat's testing bed... bleeding edge packages and the like- steer clear for a server.

Debian is also free, as is Ubuntu (a Debian fork).

The way we're set up, is the local Debian server hosts SAMBA services so that all files are stored off of the workstations, ProFTP for FTP services, a Hamachi VPN for remote use and httpd/php/mysql for internal applications. Primary drive is rsync'ed to a second storage drive every hour. Nightly, all data is rsync'ed to a 2u with 4 drives in RAID10 in the datacenter, running CentOS 5.5. Both boxes are 64 bit capable, and while 64 bit has become much more stable... I'm stuck on i386/686 and use the SMB/PAE kernel for CentOS, bigmem-i686 for Debian.

If you want a bit of help/have questions, feel free to message me.

Tovis

We use a Debian 6 box in house, rsync'ed to a CentOS 5.5 box in the datacenter, both pieces of equipment i own and manage.

FYI:
CentOS is a free re-package of Red Hat. Stable, secure, great- I use it for a lot of servers. Red Hat's cost isn't really worth it, and Fedora is Red Hat's testing bed... bleeding edge packages and the like- steer clear for a server.

Debian is also free, as is Ubuntu (a Debian fork).

The way we're set up, is the local Debian server hosts SAMBA services so that all files are stored off of the workstations, ProFTP for FTP services, a Hamachi VPN for remote use and httpd/php/mysql for internal applications. Primary drive is rsync'ed to a second storage drive every hour. Nightly, all data is rsync'ed to a 2u with 4 drives in RAID10 in the datacenter, running CentOS 5.5. Both boxes are 64 bit capable, and while 64 bit has become much more stable... I'm stuck on i386/686 and use the SMB/PAE kernel for CentOS, bigmem-i686 for Debian.

If you want a bit of help/have questions, feel free to message me.

So Fedora if Fedora is a testing ground, are earlier versions more stable?

Between Debian, Ubantu and CentOS which do you prefer?

-CentOS

njshorts

Fedora isn't a server platform, no matter how old it is (unless you go back to unsupported versions, like fc1-3)

I use a lot of different distros, and I consult for a webhosting company with over 500 servers- mix of CentOS (85% centos), Red Hat, Debian, SuSE and Debian...

For simplicity, I'd use a Debian box for your local office... I wouldn't advise hosting your own website (whm/cpanel is an added cost, plus security issues, outages, etc... we pay $4/mo for hosting at fourbucks.net, worth every penny).

A Debian box with SAMBA/ProFTP can be set up in 20-30 minutes on nearly any hardware. If you have a writable cd and a pentium 3 or newer with 768 MB ram (plus whatever storage you want to use), you can have a quick and stable Debian box... installed and running within an hour. You can do the same with CentOS as well, configuration and maintenance is a bit easier with the debian packages.

(ya know, i was just talking to another s101 member about doing sign shop it consulting... maybe i should package this as a service :p)

Last edited:

qmr55

What version do you run? Do you like it? Is it pretty much an unsupported version of redhat?

I'm on Release 14 which is Laughlin.

Linux Kernal 2.6.35.6-45.fc-14 (Which if I'm correct is a bit older maybe 6-8 months)

And GNOME 2.32.0

I like it and its very stable. Few bugs but I've fixed most of them over the year or so I've been running it.

TheJaspMan

We have a Fedora 9 server that has an average uptime of 3-5 months. We host our own web, FTP, email and storage. I have no complaints at all.

Tovis

whm/cpanel is a necessity then, what we want to do is set up FTP where customers upload to our server, do email in house since the number of accounts with our current system is limited and possibly do web hosting internally.

Is the cost significant enough where it is better to just do it externally?

Tovis

We have a Fedora 9 server that has an average uptime of 3-5 months. We host our own web, FTP, email and storage. I have no complaints at all.

By average uptime of 3-5 months, do you mean that it crashes that often or you have to restart it that often?

I'd love to email with you email@kiwisunphoto.com

Do you have extra costs besides the cost of the server machine to install it on, and the dedicated IP you have running to it?

Tovis

This is a current special from the server provider we lease from. Adding cPanel/WHM to it, monitoring/management, and other goodies would probably put it in the $350 to $400 a month range. Whether that seems reasonable to you or not is subjective but it's a very good solution IMHO.

Is that for hosting a single website domain, and ftp for that domain, and emails for that domain or is that for multiple domains.

Seems kinda high...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is that for hosting a single website domain, and ftp for that domain, and emails for that domain or is that for multiple domains.

Seems kinda high...

It is for a dedicated server and a high speed connection to the internet along with maintenance and repairs for the server. Unlike a hosted solution, you pretty much set all your own rules. You are your own host. It includes 5 dedicated IPs and is a powerful enough server to go into the hosting business. The OS of the server provides unlimited FTP accounts, email, databases and lots of other things you aren't used to getting from a hosted solution.

The cost is low for a dedicated server from a quality provider and any comparison to a hosted solution is difficult. I would change to it myself except I don't want to go through the aggravation of changing to a new server at this point in time. We pay about that amount for a much weaker server from the same company.

signswi

whm/cpanel is a necessity then, what we want to do is set up FTP where customers upload to our server, do email in house since the number of accounts with our current system is limited and possibly do web hosting internally.

Is the cost significant enough where it is better to just do it externally?

Virtualized servers are virtual servers, you can put whatever you want on them. It's just like having a hardware server...without the hardware. The advantages are you're in control of your entire server environment without having to worry about hardware and you can scale on demand.

Fred I hope that's for more than just signs101...vBulletin is coded like crap but it's not THAT crap ;P.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred I hope that's for more than just signs101...vBulletin is coded like crap but it's not THAT crap ;P.

No. I have my other sites on the same server. Plus we run five other applications on Signs 101 in addition to vBulletin. Having our own server allows us certain types of access on doesn't get on a hosted account which is important for maintenance and optimization.

signswi

You'd have all the same options and access on a VPS, just saying. It's worth price comparing. Check your loads and see what equiv. load virtualized servers would cost. Do you use a CDN at all?