• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Service Maintenance Kit #3 Question

dypinc

L25500 no effect on print quality at this time.

What did you do when you reached EOL counter on Service Maintenance Kit #3.

1. Call Tech and have it done by them?

2. Order the parts and do it yourself? Looks fairly easy.

3. Just reset the counter? Do it down the road if print quality suffers? Service manual printed in bold red (NEVER DONE BY CUSTOMER). An adverse effects if done by customer without changing parts.

4. Or just leave give the message do it down the road if print quality suffers?

What has been your experience?

dypinc

I didn't think I was that heavy of a user. Certainly some one have gotten to the end of life on the Service Maintenance Kit #3 haven't they.

neilchristie

If your means of income needs a bit of maintenance I recommend you do it. A silent machine isn't making money, and right now you are able to schedule downtime for the procedure. Murphy s law says you'll be flat out when it goes the other way...LOL

Each kit you buy comes with instructions on how to change it out, but keep in mind that these instructions assume a tech is doing the work and don't go into details. Being a tech myself I've seen many neglected machines. All your accomplish by putting this off is a higher cleanup bill. When I do a SMK3 I use that opportunity to service the machine replace the oilers and give it a good once over.

ProColorGraphics

Mine called for it at like 60k square feet. I had the tech manual but still didn't want to chance screwing it up. It was only $450 for the parts and to have HP install it. I think the parts alive were like $225.

Sign Eagle

Our machine is 2 years old and we carry a service contract on it, but the SM Kit 3 is not covered by the contract. I still had HP install. I was out of the shop when it was installed, but I believe it took 3 hrs or so to install.

Sign Eagle

We had about 90,000 sq ft on the machine before the message came on and we ran for 3 weeks or more be for we had the kit installed, which was $459. I really don't understand why a set of parts that are not user replacable aren't covered by the service contract. Have been unable to get any info on what else will not be covered by the service contract.

sha

It is not a user replaceable part because you need to dismantle complete service station. Some of us know how to do it, some not and it is a dirty job.
I suggest to replace SMK3 rather then just reset counter.
If you reset without replacing this will happen eventually:

1. The fan that is in SMK3, is collecting ink through funnel tube and when fills up, funnel suction does not work and you get sprayed ink deposit on the machine.
2. Line sensor will be dirty after one day of printing if funnel suction does not work and you will not be able to read material or PH cleaning kit or Funnel.
3. Waste tube will be clogged and ink will slowly rise in the tube to the funnel and spills out to the vacuum platen or down the leg stand.

danno

I am currently having a smk #3 completed on our L26500. I had the HP technician complete the kit. Upon completion he had some difficulty bringing the machine back up. Currently waiting to see if this thing will come back to life.