• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sewing Machine For Banners?

player

I am looking at buying a used sewing machine that will be heavy duty to do banners.

I have no idea what to look for in a used machine. I see there are some that say they are industrial. Others are surgers.

What do I need to know to get a used machine that is strong enough to handle banner material?

WildWestDesigns

Juki. Or something similar with a dual feed (better then a walking foot, although some think they are 1:1, dual feed is better if able to get it especially for the heavier substrate). I do like dual needles, but can get away with a single needle. There is even the twin needle (two needles, single shaft for a single needle machine) that can work in a pinch. Although if you need that often, I would suggest a double needle machine.

Overlock(sergers), while they can work, particularly your chain stitch ones (think of the thread that you pull out on your 50lb feed bags) they are designed to easily pull out. A chain stitch is not a lock stitch and not quite a strong (on average) compared to a lock stitch. Only use this, in my mind, if doing the temp stuff.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks for clearing it up... we have a welder, so never used the stitching method before.
Was trying to parrot what I'd read on here a while back.