• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sheet Layout in Illustrator

Goatshaver

Looking for different ways to do sheet layouts in illustrator. Do the folks that do layout in illustrator, do you use a plug-in or do you manually step and repeat?
I often do lots of smaller pieces, such as 1.5" rounds on sheets 8.5" x 11", I usually use a PDF with cuts and all and import into Onyx and step and repeat there to make my layout for printing and cutting.

Just looking for options for me to explore before I spend $ on software upgrades.

Last edited:

Saturn

Aging Member
Manually step and repeat.

Alt-drag, then control-d to step and repeat. Haven't seen a plug-in that can beat it, for how picky I am. Keyboard shortcuts make it fast.

If I was doing 54-60" rolls instead of 30" I'd probably just let the RIP do it and never worry about flipping things to conserve media.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
For simple layouts/grids I just use the Transform tool. Once for columns, once for rows, group then repeat.
Tell me more... Can you elaborate? This sounds more useful than what I do. I make a row, group, then copy and manually move down. Repeat. It's very manual... I'm all about automating and letting technology do most of the work.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Within Adobe Illustrator, the easiest method is using the Repeat function under the Object menu. Choose "Grid" out of the three options. Spacing between the objects can be controlled numerically in the "Options" settings. There are options for how the objects get repeated, such as a grid or brick pattern.

Another thing to consider: doing the repeat functions within RIP software when the project is printed. Most good quality RIP applications will have such functions. You can control spacing and even do print/cut operations.

Boudica

Thanks Bobby. Not to Pirate the op's thread, but I do quite a bit of this, but I don't want to do it in the rip. I create the layout in Illy, then save print and cut files from that. The substrate CNC is outsourced, and I send them the cut file. So, making it easier to populate a 48x96" canvas is what I'm looking at.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Looks like I need to update my Illustrator... no Repeat function under Object in v25.0.1.

Boudica, select the object you wish to repeat, then go to Effect -> Distort & Transform -> Transform menu.
You can then select copies and movement/spacing for the object to create your grid. It only works properly in one dimension at a time, however I think that Bobby's suggestion of using Repeat should do it all simultaneously.
I'll update later today and see how it goes and give some feedback.

Saturn

Aging Member
I'll be watching that Repeat function. Looks like it's almost there, but might be lacking a few key alignment tools? I didn't see anything to restrain the patterning, say to the artboard, and not to allow less than a complete copy. Thanks for bringing it up though Bobby H, I'm usually a few versions back.

I'd also be worried about how it keeps path ordering/layers for cuts. I'm sure with trial and error something could work.

Here's hoping they someday make the new Path>Simplify as good as it was in AI 2019, that's my biggest modern AI gripe at the moment.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Wow, that Repeat is going to take some getting used to... I really don't like it compared to the Transform method.
There doesn't seem to be a way to tell Illustrator exactly how many copies you'd like other than dragging the selection and counting it out manually.
For me it's one step forward and two back at the moment.

Boudica

I'll be watching that Repeat function. Looks like it's almost there, but might be lacking a few key alignment tools? I didn't see anything to restrain the patterning, say to the artboard, and not to allow less than a complete copy. Thanks for bringing it up though Bobby H, I'm usually a few versions back.

I'd also be worried about how it keeps path ordering/layers for cuts. I'm sure with trial and error something could work.

Here's hoping they someday make the new Path>Simplify as good as it was in AI 2019, that's my biggest modern AI gripe at the moment.
Re cut paths vs artwork... I will keep them together for the step and repeat process (with the cut path a unique stroke color) then, after the sheet is populated, go to the select options. Click on one of the cut paths. Select same stroke color. That should select just all cut paths. Ctrl x. Make a new layer, and paste in place. Name layered as cut and lock it. I've got a registration layer, print layer, and cut layer. Turn off layers for the appropriate file, save as pdf. There are two files, print or cut. The registration is in both.

Boudica

Wow, that Repeat is going to take some getting used to... I really don't like it compared to the Transform method.
There doesn't seem to be a way to tell Illustrator exactly how many copies you'd like other than dragging the selection and counting it out manually.
I've never been successful with the repeat. That's why I was interested in your transform method. I will look into it tomorrow. Give it a go on a sample project. Will follow up

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Re cut paths vs artwork... I will keep them together for the step and repeat process (with the cut path a unique stroke color) then, after the sheet is populated, go to the select options. Click on one of the cut paths. Select same stroke color. That should select just all cut paths. Ctrl x. Make a new layer, and paste in place. Name layered as cut and lock it. I've got a registration layer, print layer, and cut layer. Turn off layers for the appropriate file, save as pdf. There are two files, print or cut. The registration is in both.

This method should work perfectly with the Transform method. It's virtually identical to what we do.

Goatshaver

For simple layouts/grids I just use the Transform tool. Once for columns, once for rows, group then repeat.
This is typically what I do to build my smaller sheets I give to customers. For instance I've got to do 1000 - 1.5" rounds, I'll set up sheets of 25 with crop marks, save to PDF and Step them out in Onyx, run my printed material through the cutter and hand cut the sheets of 25up on a table to finish. This doesn't work the same if I use Cut Master, because it can't read the data from a placed PDF in illustrator form what I've tried.

I'll just have to mess around with different methods. I've never used the Step and Repeat in Illustrator I use transform to step out anything I need repeated.

Tomi G

Premium Subscriber
There is a new option called Repeat you can make as many copies as you need and as you can see in the Screen Shot there are a few options for what grid you use. Hope this helps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.19.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.19.01 AM.png
    296.8 KB · Views: 109

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Saturn said:

There are complete copies in there. The entire pattern is held in a clipping mask. When you release/flatten it the hidden parts will be visible. I think Adobe uses this approach to allow users to quickly add things like brick wall patterns.

Boudica

Looks like I need to update my Illustrator... no Repeat function under Object in v25.0.1.

Boudica, select the object you wish to repeat, then go to Effect -> Distort & Transform -> Transform menu.
You can then select copies and movement/spacing for the object to create your grid. It only works properly in one dimension at a time, however I think that Bobby's suggestion of using Repeat should do it all simultaneously.
I'll update later today and see how it goes and give some feedback.
I was just playing around with this... I think I've found a new tool! Did not know about this. It doesn't populate the whole sheet, but I figured out how to do a row, or a column. Sweet. Now, to check out Bobby's method...

Boudica

I'm not getting it. I chose grid, and put .25" for spacing... how do I repeat exactly? I the only other option is ok or cancel, I hit ok and nothing happens.
1637340128225.png

Edit: I just looked at Tommy G's screenshot, and the 3 options were grayed out - my only option was the "options..." Is that because I was using a linked image? should I embed it first?

Last edited:

johnnysigns

Whoa! Thank's Tomi G, I didn't know that was available. I use a plug in for dimension call outs from Hot Door called Cad tools and they've got a step and repeat option, but it's great to know it's also available in illustrator.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I was just playing around with this... I think I've found a new tool! Did not know about this. It doesn't populate the whole sheet, but I figured out how to do a row, or a column. Sweet. Now, to check out Bobby's method...

Yep, I just do a row first, then repeat the process for columns (or vice versa) to fill your sheet. Still makes more sense than the Repeat function which is entirely unintuitive.