• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sheet Metal Flat calculations

ruckstande

I'm looking for some advise on how to learn basic sheet metal Flat calculations when making pan signs and such. I have a basic idea of what I used to do years ago but I'm trying to understand the why of it all and how to make changes to the flats with more complicated bends. Any help would be great. Thank you.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Takes me back to the days of drafting, and sheet metal development.

Much of it boils down to bend allowances. Sheet metal (plastics, etc...) stretches on the outer part of the bend, and compresses on inner bends. Minimum corner radii are determined by the material's malleability. It's also about understanding the concept of "true shape and size" when it comes to working with angles, and compound angles. (In manual drafting, the concept is known as "projection").

For simple stuff, check this out: https://www.smlease.com/calculator/sheetmetal/sheet-metal-flat-pattern-calculator/

For more elaborate developments, you may want to try Inventor or some other solids modeling program that has sheet metal development capabilities.

JB

Last edited: