• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Sheets vs Roll Process

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I hold the sheet up and run a single edge razor blade down the edge, the paper is thick enough to guide the blade and only cut off the overhang. When doing rolls, if the laminate is a hair wider than the vinyl, I square one side so the overhang is only on one side of the roll. Once the roll is done, I take a big snap blade knife, extend the blade all the way out and sort of saw off the bit the overhangs. Same deal if it walks. I don't like listening to it squeak across the platen and it can also stick and screw up your cut.

Saturn

Aging Member
I think most plotters free up or feed out enough ahead of time so that the drag or "stuck togetherness" isn't an issue during the actual cutting.

I hate not having a sheet or roll perfectly centered, but I've only had it be a frustration and not an actual issue. Up to about 1/4" inch I find "safe" for both rolls and sheets, but I aim to have no more than an 1/8th of an inch. Any amount is undesirable obviously.

If it's just a sheet I do sometimes take the time to trim the overhang off before cutting, but rolls I find cursing just as effective.

NITOS

Have you guys experienced problems with the vinyl curling up as soon as you laminate the vinyl?

This happens with both of my GFP Laminators.

I even loosened the tension to as low as possible and even tightened the rollers 4 inches after they touch/loosened the roller 1 inch up after they touch with no luck.

Do you think this is a machine problem or a laminate problem? We're using Oragaurd 210 but with some suggestions we're planning on testing Oragaurd 215/Substance PL-3150.