• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Zero VOC Interior Latex paint - no stick!

mnapuran

So... have run into issues with other no VOC paints, but this stuff has just sucked. Virtually everything I've tested on a wall painted with this stuff starts to lift or fall off.

Any one find a material or method that actually sticks and stays up (wall mural, etc)?

visual800

this is one those things we cant control. If a print wont stick to it OR if double stick tape wont stick to it, it is what it is.

For digital prints not adhering I would do a banner instead, keep it tight and paint hardware to hide them.

for signage that has double side tape your going to have to pin mount it OR move it to the door

For customers that demand stuff that cant happen such as NO HARDWARE. Tell them thats the only option or just walk away from the job. People that have no clue about our work cannot make install decisions about it

Scotchbrite

No comment
I'm bumping this thread because we recently ran into this issue with the Sherwin Williams paint. We used General Formulations 226HTR and it's not sticking well. It's a high-tach product specifically for wall applications.

Anyone find a product that sticks to the Sherwin Williams Promar 200 zero VOC paint? I see the PhotoTex mentioned above, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it on this SW paint specifically.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
Drytac Retac films tend to work miracles on zero VOC paint. Similar (if not the same) adhesive as PhotoTex but with textures (canvas, linen, sand, etc).

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
I'm bumping this thread because we recently ran into this issue with the Sherwin Williams paint. We used General Formulations 226HTR and it's not sticking well. It's a high-tach product specifically for wall applications.

Anyone find a product that sticks to the Sherwin Williams Promar 200 zero VOC paint? I see the PhotoTex mentioned above, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it on this SW paint specifically.
We've not installed onto that exact paint that I know of, but Avery 1106 has worked very well for us

Scotchbrite

No comment
FYI for others that might come across this thread, I was about to pull the trigger on trying some PhotoTex, but found this on their website:
  • CAUTION: DO NOT INSTALL ON WALLS PAINTED WITH THE PROMAR 200/400 ZERO VOC PAINT.

JBurton

Signtologist
Well farts, I had a college gym I was going to cover in it. Have you found a solution already, or still looking?

BigNate

We have some pretty low-surface-energy paint on the walls of our school district - one of the few things I found that sticks is the Substance - their main clientele seems to be motorsports like snowmobiles and jet skis.... but this stuff sticks to our walls and also to every trouble plastic that has been brought to me so far (okay, not that much really, but a HS ag department needed stickers for some flower pots that nothing else would stick to - Substance stuck perfectly!)

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We have some pretty low-surface-energy paint on the walls of our school district - one of the few things I found that sticks is the Substance - their main clientele seems to be motorsports like snowmobiles and jet skis.... but this stuff sticks to our walls and also to every trouble plastic that has been brought to me so far (okay, not that much really, but a HS ag department needed stickers for some flower pots that nothing else would stick to - Substance stuck perfectly!)
Are you using their high tack or regular tack vinyl?

BigNate

Are you using their high tack or regular tack vinyl?
the roll I have is labeled "440LSE 3.2 mil gloss white vinyl.... from the website it's called "Industrial Grade High Tack Print Media" (I stuck a piece of this on the back of a Ricoh press - just a little sample, but very few things seem to stick, and at first this was very removeable, but within a day it was hard to pick a corner, and within a week it was permanently attached.)

Scotchbrite

No comment
Well farts, I had a college gym I was going to cover in it. Have you found a solution already, or still looking?
I'm going to go back to the old wall test method with the fish scale using some products we have on-hand and see if any of them are going to at least stick initially. From there I'll put up a test print and see how it looks after a couple of weeks. Luckily the initial installation looks mostly okay except for a couple of spots so the customer is okay waiting for me to figure something out. This was new construction and the customer hired us directly for some graphics and the general contractor had another shop make some stuff. The other shop's stuff has had some issues as well, so that is also helping my cause.

I did happen to talk to an Oracal rep at a local vender's open house and he said they've heard some success from people using Orajet 3164 high-tack. We do use regular 3164, but I hate to order a roll of the high tack just for this one job that won't need more than 20 feet of material.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
the roll I have is labeled "440LSE 3.2 mil gloss white vinyl.... from the website it's called "Industrial Grade High Tack Print Media" (I stuck a piece of this on the back of a Ricoh press - just a little sample, but very few things seem to stick, and at first this was very removeable, but within a day it was hard to pick a corner, and within a week it was permanently attached.)
It's good stuff, I keep that for my high tack. I'd feel bad for the poor bastard that had to get that stuff off the wall down the road. We just did a wall wrap with their regular tac vinyl, went great.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I can get anyone a test roll of Retac....all they require is your UPS account number to cover the freight. The stuff works great and it isn't a high tack which will just jack up the wall at removal.

Krittah

I have this paint in my house with a matte finish. The Phototex OPA needed some extra help to stick, I had to use…

Roman Products 11015 E-Z Hang Peel & Stick Wallpaper Helper + Pre-Pasted Activator, Clear, Non-Staining, 32 Fluid Ounces https://a.co/d/cK69ZIy

It was a pretty easy and quick fix for my wall mural that kept falling down.

Oddly, Oracal 631 sticks to good to this paint and pulls the paint off during removal.