• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

shop truck insurance question

Kottwitz-Graphics

I am about to pick up a new to me shop truck.

It is an '86 s10 with a utility body, and I called my auto insurance agent, and she said that because of the utility body, it has to be insured as commercial. I get that, but she said (without the vin) that for liability, i will be looking at $400 to $500 a term. that seems a little high to me, considering that I pay right at $600 a term for 3 vehicles all full coverage....

What auto insurance companies can you guys recommend?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have Progressive with half a million in Liability. I have a 2015 Silverado HD service body and it replaced a 2009 Tahoe... I'm paying LESS with the Silverado compared to the Tahoe... I figured they must of thought someone driving a white work truck in Texas was a low risk. Maybe they think someone driving an 86 S10 is kinda risky.. If think so too but only cause I'd assume you have no insurance. lol

Christian @ 2CT Media

Typically commercial insurance is much higher than personal, the risk is higher and the exposure is much higher.

Get in to an accident in a commercial vehicle and all the lawsuits are for millions.

Used to run a 800 vehicle fleet in my yesteryear and it was a nightmare anytime an employee wrecked.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Maybe they think someone driving an 86 S10 is kinda risky.. If think so too but only cause I'd assume you have no insurance. lol

in Maryland it's law to have insurance. big fines if you don't...

I am thinking that it is the fact that it's a 36 year old truck, and parts could be difficult to find...

I really like the old square body s10s, and finding one with a utility body is rare. it's gonna be an eye catcher when I get it laid out, and considering putting suicide doors on it....