• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Short Rolls!?

Lauren

I would like to find out if anyone else has noticed this and if it's happening at my shop, it's got to be happening elsewhere. Over the past few months we have had some projects where we needed almost the entire 10yd roll of material and so I ordered just enough. I found on 4 occasions that the vinyl roll was short - anywhere from 1-5 feet! 4 instances happened with the same exact kind of vinyl, a 3m 7125 metallic, and the most recent was an Avery SC900. I find it infuriating that the manufacturer would short rolls, but is this just something we have to live with? When I went back to my vendor, they said that they have NEVER had anyone report this. If this is a standard practice, which I'm beginning to think it may be, that's just not right. It is not in our process to unroll the material when we receive it, so I would never even know if it's happening especially on 50yd rolls. Thoughts?

Mosh

It depends on the supplier, they have to roll 10 yarders off. I know I have been shorted before, I have also gone long. Complain about it, I bet you get some free film.

50 yarders come from the mfg so I would count on those being right.

Auburnpeanut

We have had several rolls over the year shorted. We always mention to the distributor. Usually they knock a little money off or send us some extra material free. Once even got a whole extra 30 yd roll for free.

ExecuPrintGS

Fellers shorted us 3 yards of a 10 yard reflective order and it turned into a headache getting the additional 3 yards. It was very frustrating.

Mosh

Fellers shorted me a couple times, had a replacement plus some the NEXT DAY every time.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
short rolls

i bet it happens way more that we think.
who has time to unwind some stock on the back table and double check?

sigh.

-moshe

(-oops. i guess i didn't have enough vinyl again.)

jfiscus

Rap Master
What I really hate is on a lot of 3M 180c rolls the last 10-15' of the roll has little waves along the edges (edge curl?) that make it un-usable due to head strikes/collisions. I've been seeing it more and more recently.
When we complain to fellers all we've gotten are some scraps that are also essentially un-usable or a real pain to use as you have to load them on separately from a regular roll. We just quit complaining...

CES020

What I really hate is on a lot of 3M 180c rolls the last 10-15' of the roll has little waves along the edges (edge curl?) that make it un-usable due to head strikes/collisions. I've been seeing it more and more recently.
When we complain to fellers all we've gotten are some scraps that are also essentially un-usable or a real pain to use as you have to load them on separately from a regular roll. We just quit complaining...

Report it to 3M. We had a roll of IJ35, the very first roll of material we used on our new printer. The material had some weird, random flaws in it. Like a hair that was embedded in the material when it was made, and then other areas that were bad. We called them, they opened a case on it, I sent them photos instead of actual samples and they called our supplier, gave them a case number and took the roll back and replaced the entire roll.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Report it to 3M. We had a roll of IJ35, the very first roll of material we used on our new printer. The material had some weird, random flaws in it. Like a hair that was embedded in the material when it was made, and then other areas that were bad. We called them, they opened a case on it, I sent them photos instead of actual samples and they called our supplier, gave them a case number and took the roll back and replaced the entire roll.
We get those all the time, however mostly it is mosquitoes in the vinyl, but sometimes we get a random handprint and once or twice we've gotten spilled coffee on the material.