• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shot in the dark

MatthewTimothy

well this is a shot in the dark since I havent really gotten a solid answer on some other forums I post on so I thought id hit this one too. I purchased 4 IBM 42D0782 2TB SAS hot swap drives but quickly came to realize that they are used best with server applications and its not really suggested to deploy them in my NAS so I'm stuck. I tried to sell them but not really in biters so I thought about using them but all I can find is a rackmount chassis. Does anyone know of a good Pedestal chassis that I could use with this drives. I'm deploying a RAID 5 array and I'm wanting it for backup.

SignBurst PCs

Timothy,

Are you sure that they are SAS? I just did a quick look and that model number shows up in several places as SATA.

If they are indeed SAS, I still don't understand why you would have a hard time finding a chassis unless you are stuck using a certain "sled". Unless I am missing something, you can probably just remove them from the sled and install them into any standard chassis. You will need a motherboard that has a SAS controller and probably will need a SAS cable, but it isn't really that hard. I have a dozen of them laying around.

Feel free to give me a buzz if you wanna chat about it.

choucove

Casey seems to be right, these are indeed SATAII hard drives, just that they are specifically designed for server environments, hence the special Hot Swap designation. They should work just fine in a NAS just as they would in a full server.

If you still are looking to get a server instead of just using a NAS, I recommend looking into the Supermicro chassis. I've used numerous for servers and they are incredible quality, with several variations to fit your needs, budget, and form factor.