• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should we ban...

Should we get rid of

• Gino, I don't like him

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Don't get rid of Gino, I love him

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Texas Signmaker

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
You can try to play your superior linguistics and semantics argument on all you want, but it doesn't excuse the use of a highly derogatory slur against a member's ethnicity.

We are all the same species, which is subdivided by race.

I'll stick with Merriam-Webster in subset 2a & b on the subject.

Definition of race
1 :a breeding stock of animals
2 a :a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
b :a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
3 a :an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also :a taxonomic category (such as a subspecies) representing such a group
b :breed
c :a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits

'Superior linguistics'? No, merely a vocabulary adequate to allow me to express my thoughts. You might want to look into that.

Definition of 'Dictionary':
A compendium of descriptions of word usage in vogue at the time of publishing.

The operative word is 'description', not 'definition'. A dictionary defines nothing. You have come down with an acute fallacy, 'Agumentum ad lexicon'. Which, if it isn't a formal fallacy, it damn well ought to be.

To reiterate: There is one race, human. The sooner mouth breathers such as you appear to be, stop keeping score based on unalterable physical appearance the sooner we can move on to important things. Moreover, it's not 'ethicity', whatever that might mean', it's 'culture' and being such makes it fair game. One can always shed a culture, or at least those features one finds it uncomfortable. Your choice to stay or go, you live with it.

Johnny Best

Who's Gino? Sounds like any other goombah to me.

I don't think Gino is a goombah, He told me his parents were Romanian gypsies. They migrated here during the German purge during WWII and settled in Reading. His father painted signs in the back and his mother read cards in the front of the shop.
I agree with Bly, there are some sensitive people among us. "Can't we all just get along"?

Status
Not open for further replies.