• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sick of HP support prices!!

Jasmin

Founder
Hey, how do you service your large format printers when they have errors? Hp just charged me 2399 to change a sensor again, they bill 300$ per hour for the tech it's so ridiculous.
Do you guys have any tips on other companies or how to get service elsewhere? (Located in Florida)

BigNate

step 1) purchase a maintenance agreement from your local vendor. step 2) calculate you prices to reflect the increased machine cost. 3) print on a machine that you know is being paid for and that you know someone else is fully responsible for keeping it running.

When negotiating the contract be sure to include penalties for the vendor for extended downtime that will cover your shop expenses - if they are worried they will have something they cannot fix, then maybe you should look for another vendor.... YOU are in the business of printing, THEY are in the business of keeping you printing - make the contract reflect this. - and be aware it may double the machine cost in your pricing, but you will NEVER have to fix it yourself, or if you do you will be getting a payday.

BigNate

HP replaced many boards and who knows what else on our 700w when it first came in. I would not have any new equipment in a professional setting without a maintenance agreement with someone who have the full knowledge and resources to fix the machine. The cost is just part of doing business and is figured into what you charge your customer.

victor bogdanov

Hey, how do you service your large format printers when they have errors? Hp just charged me 2399 to change a sensor again, they bill 300$ per hour for the tech it's so ridiculous.
Do you guys have any tips on other companies or how to get service elsewhere? (Located in Florida)
I purchased a service plan for my colorado 1650, while not cheap it gives me peace of mind knowing my printer will be fixed asap with no surprise costs. I was on the fence of about getting a service plan but glad I did. So far 3 minor problems that were fixed same day.

One roll per month printed pays for the service plan

Vortex37

Laminator Whisperer
We use Montroy. Grimco used to service our HP Scitex flatbed but it’s old now and they don’t work on them anymore. They may still service other models. Check the vendors in your area who attend the big conferences and chances are if they sell HP they may have someone who works on off-contract machines.

Jasmin

Founder
I purchased a service plan for my colorado 1650, while not cheap it gives me peace of mind knowing my printer will be fixed asap with no surprise costs. I was on the fence of about getting a service plan but glad I did. So far 3 minor problems that were fixed same day.

One roll per month printed pays for the service plan
Thank you! Did you purchase this from your reseller or where?

greysquirrel

what printer? They are a flat fee on the 300 series latex, $1500. If its for an FB Scitex, well that model has been discontinued and they don't offer support directly. You are located in NY. Connect with a regional company that offers service, try Diversified Display out of Hillside NJ. they have two techs and I believe they are $175 per hour and they don't typically charge travel if you ar local.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Anyone in the New York Metro area can also contact us. GRS is located in northern NJ and have two trained techs on staff. We are a service authorized dealer for the HP Latex 300, 500, 700 and 800 series and the Mutoh ValueJet and XpertJet lines of printers.

PS, I don't know what difference this will make or not but it was just announced that Diversified Display Products was acquired by Piedmont Plastics. https://www.piedmontplastics.com/blog/diversified-display-products-acquisition