• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Painter the Movie, panel discussion

Farmboy

I see Amazon has the movie as an "Instant Video" that you can rent or buy. Does anyone know if there's a DVD out yet? I always wonder if anyone else notices the old and faded hand painted signs on the buildings in town. Most are on out of the way side streets where an old Mom & Pop used to be. I just think they're cool as hell :)

gnubler

I came across this DVD at my library and watched it over the weekend. It's a MUST SEE, as others commented. I kept lookin' for Gino but I guess he declined to be interviewed...woulda been perfect for him. Looks like it's free to watch online here: http://www.signpaintersfilm.com/#watch

Some of my favorite lines:
"You're gonna make more money on this sign than I ever will." (said to a customer)
"IOAFS" (It's Only A Frickin' Sign"
"The problem with technology is that it doesn't stand still."

There's a time lapse montage in the special features of the DVD. Seeing the guys set up their scaffolding hanging from the side of a tall building in NYC made my hands sweat just watching it.

ProSignTN

Hey Dan, I've owned a couple of your books and still have one on the shelf (shop fire you know) and I have read many, many of your articles in SignCraft. Thanks for the advice, insight & instruction.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I watched it yesterday, I thought it was very interesting! It truly is an art form!

A town a few miles away has 21 murals painted on brick buildings by "The Wall Dogs". It's super cool to drive around and look at them. Some are hand painted signs, some are painted directly on the buildings. They always had a crowd of people watching. Really cool that this art form still exists!
83d8a19e-88d7-4abd-a274-b297ecc50799-dsc_0745.jpg
704bda9d-e55e-4e3a-9168-b9718a60702d-dsc_0681.jpg
241003471_5093019854058461_5172992238911369127_n.jpg

gnubler

I live in a small town with brick buildings like what Stacey posted above. There are several with very old painted signs on the sides of the building. Recently one building was remodeled and when they ripped the siding off they found an old painted sign on the brick that they guessed was 80+ years old. It was repainted to its original glory.