• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In Sign Pricing Calculator & Video Tutorials

caribmike

Retired with a Side Hustle
Wow...thanks for sharing this. I use EFI Printsmith for my commercial printing stuff, but, I have been winging it with large format costing for years. I know I'm very profitable but this will really help me.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Excellent video and program.
One question- how would you account for brapper paper and mask on a laminated job?

In this case, I would make a substrate or laminate that includes these costs.

For example, I might say "Lam with Mask" and make the roll cost include both a roll of lam and a roll of mask.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
FireSprint.com how would you account for something like the following (from a little job we just ran this morning)

3 signs @ 36" x 36"
3mm ACM, High tack vinyl & matte laminate

I created a "substrate" that combines ACM + vinyl + lam but I think I need to factor in material yield etc.
For example, even though the finished product is 3 signs @ 9 sqft each = 27 sqft, the substrate (acm) and vinyl/lam/ink use is different and there are different considerations for waste/drop etc.
ACM ends up using 36 sqft total (building in drop from 36" cuts)
Vinyl/lam/ink ends up using 47 sqft assuming drop from 36" prints and a bit of waste for marks etc at beginning/end of the job

Any tips for overcoming things like this?

I've always struggled w/ creating rules that factor in waste/drops and not necessarily getting 100% yield out of every sheet/roll.

Thanks.

scrip

Hi, Great tool! Thanks!
May I suggest you create a second and maybe third material/substrate?
that could take into account printing on some material that would be mounted on another substrate
that would be great!

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
One question- how would you account for brapper paper and mask on a laminated job?
how would you account for something like the following (from a little job we just ran this morning)

3 signs @ 36" x 36"
3mm ACM, High tack vinyl & matte laminate

I created a "substrate" that combines ACM + vinyl + lam but I think I need to factor in material yield etc.
For example, even though the finished product is 3 signs @ 9 sqft each = 27 sqft, the substrate (acm) and vinyl/lam/ink use is different and there are different considerations for waste/drop etc.
ACM ends up using 36 sqft total (building in drop from 36" cuts)
Vinyl/lam/ink ends up using 47 sqft assuming drop from 36" prints and a bit of waste for marks etc at beginning/end of the job

Any tips for overcoming things like this?

I've always struggled w/ creating rules that factor in waste/drops and not necessarily getting 100% yield out of every sheet/roll.
In the original FireSprint.com thread on the calculator topic I mentioned that all components can be combined into a single table (list). Each component is separate and sign makers may require what amounts to hundreds of individual components. Individual key labors and key machines are also included in the table as they are components as well.

A "product" is made of assembled of required components, sometimes referred to as "parts." A table of products might also amount to hundreds in a list. Realize however, many products and components are just slight variations of their root, which greatly alleviates some of the shock of working with long lists.

So, component categories might be; media, rigid, laminate, adhesive, fasteners, ink, printer, installation, trimming, heat press, packaging, project coordination, design, expendables, etc., the list goes on. They can all amount to a "stack" of layers which make up the sign product as a line item. So, each layer of the stack has its own costs and pricing which will amount to overall costs and price and should be apparent when displayed as a "line item breakdown." The FireSprint spreadsheet calculator is a start but one could add additional rows for their individual component needs, as Gene has mentioned. The FireSprint calculator is modifiable.

Be sure to realize that while one might sell per the square foot, material usage is often expensed using linear feet. It's a rule. I think Gene made this clear also.

FireSprint.com

Adding at least one additional substrate has been a pretty consistent request since it's launch. I will certainly work on this.

FireSprint.com

I have not heard anyone having any luck with it in excel unfortunately. There are probably some of the lookups and cell references that would need to be updated for it to work.