• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Vandalism

jbennett

OK. I need a little help. I was called about a month ago to come take down a sub-division sign that had been spray painted on by either some kids or some very uneducated riff-raff. They sprayed some words on both sides of the 4' x 6" aluminum faces. I tried using different chemicals to see if I could possibly remove the spray paint without damaging the white aluminum. No chance. It appears to me that I have two quick options:

1. Get new aluminum faces and re-do like it was with cut vinyl.

2. Turn the faces over and wrap them. (they are not in good enough shape to simply apply new vinyl).

The main question, : Is there any type of laminate or substrate coating that will allow for wiping vandalism , such as spray paint off.

All help is appreciated.

jbennett

you might still try sprayway graffitti removal, can't remember the product number off of the top of my head.

but yes there are graffitti laminates (usually tedlar) that allow you to remove graffitti without damaging the sign.

jbennett

COuld the clearstar liquid be used over the top of a sign with cut vinyl, or would the edges cause issues?

Thanks all for so much help!.

jbennett

Pat Whatley

Okay, I know you've moved on from trying to clean the paint off but I've got to ask...did you try vodka? I've always been amazed at how well it stripped spray paint.

jbennett

Okay, I know you've moved on from trying to clean the paint off but I've got to ask...did you try vodka? I've always been amazed at how well it stripped spray paint.

I haven't. All i have at home is grey goose. I may stop and buy some smirnoff to try :) Can't use the goose for purposes like this :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it.

jbennett